I went for my lesson yesterday, it was a perfect day for it; not too hot. We worked on Shirley issues first; like keeping my shoulders still, my legs back- boy, that's a tough one when you don't use those inner thigh muscles much!- and a new one, the way I hold my wrists. I needed to turn them in a little, as I was riding with them braced outward, which gave me a hard and unflexible hold on the reins- poor Beamer!
We worked on keeping Beamer in frame. It wasn't too hard at the walk as long as my position was right, but came apart a bit at the trot. I'm learning to keep my leg aids on at the rising trot, talk about multi tasking! When we proceeded to the canter, Beamer still had issues with his right lead, so I asked Gail to ride him. She discovered a few things about him, like how that short back of his makes his trot a very quick stride, especially as she is accustomed to much bigger horses with a more flowing stride! Also she got a good feel for just how much rein to use on him, and that I was riding with quite a bit too much contact; he has a nice soft face.
But the main thing she discovered is that he is sore going to the right. His not wanting to take the right lead was his way of telling us, ouch, I hurt!
Our horses do tell us when things aren't right, we just need to know how to read them, and to be in tune with them so that we know that they aren't just being evasive, they have a reason for it. I'm really glad Gail pinpointed that problem. When I brought him home, I checked his back and found the sore area, about 8 inches behind his withers on the right side, about 6 inches below the spine. I could feel knotting in his muscles so I massaged him- he loved that- and put some of my essential oils on to relieve the pain and muscle spasm.
Gail gave me permission to use this photo of her, and the quote below it is hers.

"Beamer is starting to relax and move forward. It won't be long before he and Shirley have it all together and then what a picture that will make! The boy named Beamer can live at my house anytime.....he is such a gentleman."
13 comments:
Awesome stuff!! :)
Great picture, and glad you were able to figure out his soreness issue!
Amazing what a horse will tell us if we pay attention. I'd hate to have to take lessons......I'm sure the teacher wouldn't know where to start with me.
He looks so good, glad you found his sore spot and the reason he wouldnt lope right, all connected. Its so easy to look back and see how we should have seen it, but now you know for next time.
Good thing you found out where he is sore. What a good boy Beamer is.
Glad you found the problem. I did talk to Sig of Blue Equine and she says they do see clients in BC. e amil her if you would like and see if Kevin can help
He looks pretty handsome in that saddle and it won't be long before you both are great at it together!
Awesome horse. Awesome you (even if you're not in the picture) Awesome team.
That horse looks good anyhow.....but I'm still going with You can put an English saddle and bit on the boy but you can't get away from the Western just ain't happen'n.
So much to take in and work on in a lesson - and glad to hear you found out what was bothering Beamer. I bet he's quite relieved....
Looking good... Hey Shirley I have a cousin in Creston who has completed Equine massage therephy, chiropractics and a bunch of other stuff, I could put you in touch with her if you would like?
Tara
Yeah Tara, that would be great! I'll email you.
Oh, Just look how wonderful he is and wowsa..beautiful!
Kinda sounds like a rib out...look into that Equine Therapist! I LOVE mine! So does Wa mare~
KK
Post a Comment