One of the banes of existence in the winter is dealing with frozen hoses for those of us who aren't blessed with automatic heated waterers and heated barns. I use tubs and electric de-icers, and have to fill them with a hose. Last year I was reading Mustang Diaries blog and she mentioned putting the hose in a garbage can to bring in to a warm room. I've read a few comments this year about folks storing their hoses in showers or bathtubs, so I thought I'd share with you the easy method I use to deal with the hoses of winter.
I store my 100 ft of hose in my muck cart; it makes it easy to get it from the house, where I store it in my mud room, and the wheeled cart makes it easy to take anywhere. I have to bring it up a few steps to the deck, and it rolls up easily.
When I coil it up I start with the far end, and have the part that goes to the tap on top; I attach it and roll the cart along while the hose unrolls itself.
It's quick and easy, the longest part is re rolling the hose and coiling it into the bucket.
I have had my share of frozen hoses over the years, and I've found this method super easy. The muck buckets are available at most farm supply stores. I use them for a lot of different things.
16 comments:
That's a great idea!
that is a great idea Shirley! I usually look like I am trying to hang myself dragging the hose out of the barn shower! Gotta get me one of those, wonder if Santa is around...
Great idea...and I need to too! Thanks much for sharing.
Sherry and Linda- try UFA or Peavey Mart for the carts.
That was a super good share! What a great idea.
What an awesome idea!! I'll have to keep that in mind in case I ever need it.
Brilliant idea..:-)
Very savvy - I just shoulder mine and carry it to and from the heated bathroom - we have frostproof hydrants near the dry lots and turnouts so the hose doesn't have to be a long one.
That is a great idea, but we store ours in the basement and have it hooked up to the water spout all year long so we end up dragging up and down the basement stairs all winter long!
excellent idea! I have a hook shoulder high on the side of my barn and I slowly coil my hoses back up draining them, then I lay the coils in my barn ally flat and haven't had a problem... The only time I have a problem is when Bruce rolls them up LOL then I just toss the hose in the mares water trough for 15 mins and the ice shoots right out. We use a floating deicer in that trough.
hmm thats a good idea! But it sure makes me glad we have heated waterers though!
Well I have to get one of those,if Dave asks me what I want for Christmas that will be #1 I have a lot of trouble with frozen hoses,no matter how good I think I am draining them it isn't good enough. So now I have to haul it up and down the basement stairs without tripping myself and doing damage.Sometimes the language is....well lets just say it isn't shareable.
Why is it, that its always someone else that comes up with the great ideas??? Sheesh!
I`ll have to try it, its down to -8c at the moment, and its only 7.30pm!!
Great idea! I will be sharing it with several horse friends up here.
My pump house is heated so all I do is coil the hose back onto the holder.
Brilliant!
I also have to deal with 100 feet of hose. I usually let mine drain on the slight downward slope from the house to the barn. disconnecting it from the house. Last year I left it out...draining. We had a blizzard that night. I had to dig the hose out of a 3 foot drift the next time I had to water - never again did I leave the hose uncoiled.
Muck bucket wheely cart is going on the Christmas list!
The cool thing about this system is that it doesn't matter if you drain the hose completely, the bucket will catch any water that leaks out.
Post a Comment