12 days before you get on a colt? Most trainers will get on in the first few days, if not the first day. However, I'm not a trainer who does this for a living, and I like to take things slow. The thing I wanted most with Kai was to gain his trust; he was so jumpy and nervous when I first brought him home - May 15th, it was. Over the last 3 months, he has come to trust me, and since I found out his physical issues on his left side and adapted my program accordingly, we really progressed.
All my prep work has really paid off. Dave came over today to hold him while I climbed aboard. Since we were in the middle of a thunderstorm, I opted to do this in his big stall instead out in the rain and wind and slippery wet grass. I had already laid over his back the last couple of days, so actually getting on didn't bother him at all.
Such a good boy. Now if only I was young and agile (Shayla!!!) I would have had less difficulty getting on, and would have slid off his rump too, but my body doesn't work as well as it used to. I was pretty happy with this session, took a while to quit grinning!
Next session, if I have help, will be to get on him saddled, in the round pen, and I'd like to go to the longer training lead line to give him a little freedom to move. If I don't get help, I'll start the next phase of desensitizing- tying things to the saddle and longing. Like my slicker, milk jugs- whatever I can come up with.
7 comments:
I can't say this enough, congratulations!
well done! looks like he is coming along nicely
his eye is staying so nice and soft!
He did fabulous! He's such a beauty.
What a good boy!
LOL at your comments about having less agility - trust me, it gets worse!!!!
My favorite thing to tie on the saddle were pillowcases filled with all kinds of different annoying things; towels for bulk, empty coke cans, coke cans with rocks in them, balls that bounced against his sides…ah, tormenting equines can be such fun!
It's so good to be up there for the first time, especially when you did the work yourself and he's your own horse. Gee he has a lovely bloom on him now. Congratulations!
Way to go! You both did great...even with the thunder going on! :)
Post a Comment