Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Trail riding- good for the soul.


My brother is still hanging in there, I'd like to thank everyone for their well wishes and prayers.
I have had lots of Clancy time over the last while.
Shayla came over and we rode down to the river....
Really nice relaxing ride. I am using Easy Boot Glove boots on Clancy- can't afford the Equine Fusion ones right now with our dollar exchange rate at 30 % (!!!!!!) and I'm finding that the Glove boots work quite well.
I'm really liking miss Clancy. She suits me just fine!
I have tried a couple of different saddle pads on her, trying to find one that works best for her. She doesn't seem to like my Diamond Wool pad- too scratchy for her I think. Shayla lent me both a CSI and a 5 Star to try out, and the 5 Star was my pick. I found the CSI too fussy to use, and the top pad did bunch under my saddle where the stirrup fenders move back and forth. The 5 Star was a 3/4 inch, and it was just right; the saddle didn't move at all and there were no pressure spots. I used it yesterday when we went on another trail ride- this time a picturesque ride in some pretty country near where Janice lives. She and Dave and another friend, as well as Shayla and I all had a really lovely Sunday ride.
Dave and Skookum (Percheron /QH cross; Jenn on Moxie (Morgan) 
and Janice on Jazz, a Beamer daughter.

Shayla putting boots on her mare Rosie, and Arab/QH cross

Tess came along for the ride. She was a happy dog!

There's fresh snow on the mountains in the background.

I let Shayla take some photos of me and Clancy; I was trying to get Tess to come lay besides us here.

There were plenty of hikers in the area and we had one of them take a group photo of us all at the summit of the butte.
 It was a really good ride- Clancy was really good in the group, went wherever I wanted, was good in front, at the back or in the middle.  Can't wait for the next ride!

11 comments:

IanH said...

Nice pictures and great scenery. Makes me miss my horses!

Anonymous said...

Looks like a fine ride - what a nice Clancy mare!

Two Blondes and an Appy said...

Thank you for hauling us Shirley! Rose and I had a great time..... Hopefully we can get a few more ride in before the weather changes!

lisa said...

What a wonderful ride.

aurora said...

I am so glad you got to enjoy serenity on the trail!! Such beautiful country, great company and a good horse - it doesn't get much better then that!! It truly is good for the soul.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed my visit to the kooetnay's so much, that I wish I had never come back here.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Good to hear Clancy is working out for you! What a beautiful shot in your header...I see Tess too! Such a pretty area at Janice's...envious! :)

Anonymous said...

That's got to be some of the most beautiful scenery in the world. Certainly would be good for the soul.

Janice said...

I so enjoyed our ride, it just couldn't have been any better. Looking forward to another.........soon maybe.

Linda said...

What a beautiful ride! I'm so happy you got to experience it. I'm very sad to read about your brother. I'll be keeping you and your family in my prayers. Cancer struck our family last year. When one member suffers, we all suffer. I hope he continues to be surrounded by the ones he loves.

T.L. Merrybard said...

It's so great that you and Clancy are clicking! Tell Dave that he can send Skookum Downunder to me any time he likes. :)