Monday, November 2, 2015

Josie day 23

We are getting close to giving Josie the winter off; Shayla and I are going to audit a Buck Brannaman clinic November 14-16, so after that I'd like for Shayla to practice some of what she learns on Josie for a few days before we shut the lessons down for the winter. We are pretty much on track, I wanted to get 30 days of groundwork on her before winter.
Today Josie got introduced to the tarp box; a square of tarp held down by 4 poles. She was right in there being nosy as we laid it out, and walked right over it but the sound and feel of it surprised her and made her wary of going back on it, Shayla did a nice job of schooling her through it.



The funky noise is the autofocus on my camera, I haven't figured out how to get rid of it.
After that, more sacking out with the flag, which Josie wasn't too thrilled about.
She worked through it, and it was fun to watch all the other horses who were paying close attention to just what the heck Shayla was doing with that flag!
Tonka, Rhea and Visa, all Morgans, not quite sure they want any part of that flag!
Rhea giving the flag a raspberry
This was about the point where Josie started to soften- after a half hour of work! 
It was interesting when Shayla put the stick and flag on the ground in front of her and slowly drew it back and forth. As it went under her neck in her blind spot, she tilted her head so that she could keep an eye on it until it had cleared the blind spot and appeared in her eye on the other side. 
After that, a little crossing of the bridge and we called it a day. 

4 comments:

lisa said...

Awesome job! Looking good, to bad she didn't live closer to me ;=)

Calm, Forward, Straight said...

She sure is a lovely mare :D Love the shot of the peanut gallery!

Linda said...

That was fun to watch her go over the tarp. It's a scary deal for them. :) She's done so well and will have such a great head start next spring. I'm probably going to put my mare away for winter, too. I dread it, but the extreme cold temps are not practical for continuation. It'll be interesting to see what type of winter we actually get though. People are predicting mild, but after this year's drought, I'm hoping for more snow.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Tess was helping! Those other three horses are real lookers too! :)