Friday, April 3, 2020

Solo for me

Yesterday we had a welcome break in the weather so it was back in the saddle for me! Speaking of saddle, I fixed this one up with saddle strings the other day. I ordered the D tabs from Tandy  that fit under the conchos  and took saddle strings off my little saddle with the broken tree, so now I can tie gear on the back of my saddle if I wish.
I am a confidant rider, and riding alone suits me just fine, so this new normal of isolation and physical distancing fits me. Of course, that's because I have my girl Gussie, who I love right to little horsey bits! When I finally get to riding Drifter I will need a riding partner for safety's sake. An experienced horse like Gussie will be just perfect for him to buddy with on the trails and build his own confidence.
So here are the sights and sounds of solitude that fill my heart: the creak of saddle leather, hoofbeats and the forest with all its magic.


I actually started the ride with going down the road to the mailbox and on the way back dropped down to the woods.


The mountain was really dominating, this cell phone photo doesn't do it justice.


The fresh snow covered the mountain but not the valley bottom. We had to do our routine check on the river level, which is slowly rising. Slow is good because it means no floods.


Gussie could hear the horses back home from here. She doesn't call out to them but she does listen.

Today it's trying to  snow but we have good weather coming up so I'm thinking I might take her down to the flats and see if we can get to  Duck Lake  which is aptly named.

Riding day 15

4 comments:

threecollie said...

Beautiful! Thanks! The best view is between a horse's ears.

M said...

i wish this cold weather would go away. i have lots of planting in my pots for my flower selection this year, and the longer it goes on, the later it gets to plant spring flowers. sigh......

Linda said...

Good for you. Today looks like decent enough weather to ride around here, but last week was a wash for me. We can’t trailer our anymore with these stay at home orders, but I have plenty to work on right here. It might be a blessing in disguise.

Far Side of Fifty said...

So glad you have your Gussie back, she makes you happy and is a safe ride:)