I ordered a set of Cavallo Trek boots for Gussie. They are quite different from the Easyboot Gloves that I used on her before; very easy to put on and they do have more bulk to them.

I will have to get her used to walking in them . Her feet are freshly trimmed and there will be enough room in them as her feet grow. I rode her in them yesterday and it was nice to hit some of the rocky areas and not worry about where she placed her feet. She did stub her feet twice, I guess she will pick her feet up more carefully as she adjusts to the feel of them. Cavallo recommends a break in period before long rides in them. So a few half hour rides and then I should be good to start hauling to some trails.
I got swag too! That was a nice surprise.

Spare Velcro, a visor, a cell phone pouch, a hoof pick, a flashlight and some other gadget that I haven't figured out.
We took Drifter out for a stroll yesterday…. with Ted riding and me leading

Drifter was happy to get out in the real world! He does need a lot of exposure though. Before Ted rode, I led Drifter all over the farm including under the big willow tree you can see next to our house in the photo above. The branches are really low and they rubbed the saddle and his sides and startled him. I led him through a few more times until he relaxed- and then he realized this was the branches I throw in his pen to eat and he took a big chomp! Then he was ok with it.

People walking on the road were cause for high alert
My plan for the next little while is to take him for walks again- Lord knows I need the exercise- to get him out of his comfort zone and desensitized . We do have a lot of interest in him, but it's tough because of the border restrictions.
Riding day 29
3 comments:
Gussies boots look really nice. Kudos to Cavallo for sending great swag your way! Darn that border snag, it is for a good reason but...hope Drifter finds a good home regardless.
i need exercise meself....
Will be interested to see how you like the boots. Please keep us posted.
Post a Comment