Monday, January 30, 2023

Critters

 I had a nice visit with Shayla the other day- and I got to see her new baby dwarf goat!


He's pretty darn cute!

And tiny! 4 days old in this photo. 

The cold snap sent me into hibernation, didn't do much except watch the Fort Worth rodeo on the Cowboy Channel and watch all the deer in the yard. They come right up to the house and clean up the spilled bird seed and check for sidewalk salt. 


They are into the hay now too, I had to cover the back side of the bales in the stack . The couldn't get into the bales I feed from so they headed over to the stack yard. Brats. 

The coyotes are pretty vocal lately. We have spotted them several times in the same area, just across the river from the mare's pasture.

We figure they have a den down there.

Velvet's (assumed) baby belly

I decided not to blanket Beamer for this cold snap- which only lasted 2 days- and he did very well. All haired up and not shivering. Yay, he has finally climatized to these Alberta winters again!


At least we have pretty skies in the morning and January is almost over. 
But that means... the dreaded February Blahs are coming!

4 comments:

Val Ewing said...

I think it is just about mating season for the coyotes in my area. I know the 'yote hunters are out big time right now.

One year we had 4 coyotes run by not 10 feet from the house. That hasn't happened in a while, but I know we have a lot of dens in the forests surrounding us.

Hopefully the February blahs won't be too bad?

Far Side of Fifty said...

Those deer are very brave! They like the easy feed, before we left for the winter ours were standing by the bird feeders every night getting their fill they must have knocked the feeders around spilling seed...bums. That goat is just the cutest thing I have seen in a long time. Years ago I had a pet goat they have big personalities:)

Linda said...

Cowboy started walking away from me sometimes (like last night) when he doesn’t want to be blanketed. I figure he knows best, and sure enough, the nights he says no haven’t been as bad as I thought they would be.

I love baby goats. I never got so close to any animals as two baby wethers that I bottle fed, and then they would follow me everywhere I went when we’d go out hiking. It almost makes me want another baby goat seeing that photo!

aurora said...

You've got your hands full with all the wildlife!

Super cute baby goat. I think it would be fun to have a few, if I was younger. We have enough animals to take care of.