Saturday, February 25, 2023

Cold snap and a sun dog

 We are at the tail end of a cold snap. Needless to say, I only ventured out at chore time!

For 3 days in a row, Beamer hid out in the barn and wasn't there at the fence to greet me first thing in the morning. The mares, on the first day (-33 C) were out in their pasture galloping around, silly things! 

Video taken from the warmth of my dining room!

We did get small amounts of snow, enough to make snow blankets on the mares (Beamer hung out in the barn!)


They must have rolled, because the next day they just had frost- and Ruby was looking like a bay roan!


Speaking of roans, I watched the World's Greatest Horseman contest on the Cowboy Channel, and there sure were a lot of roan horses competing! Courtesy of their sire/grandsire Metallic Cat. One of his sons won, Call Me Mitch- what a horse and a great story. 

Ravishing Ruby 😊

Velvet is doing great too, and seems to think that every time I bring hay it is time for her grain....

I see you has no grain. But why, why, why?

The sky cleared and we were treated to a sun dog. It went in a full circle around the sun but only the ends were colorful. 


Today we are headed back to more reasonable weather. Only 3 more days to March!

7 comments:

threecollie said...

Hope it warms up for you soon! We are at plus 11 F and that is cold enough for me. Love your photos!

aurora said...

Brrr! I bet that warming sun felt great. Yep, warmer days are coming for you & your frosty crew.

Linda said...

It’s amazing how they tolerate cold! Doesn’t bother them one bit as long as they have food and water. Humans, however, not so much. It’s impossible to keep warm in those temps. I’d be looking out my window most the time, too.

Far Side of Fifty said...

The frosty muzzles are great! I am with you I stayed inside when I could and bundled up when I had to go out:)

TeresaA said...

We’re getting a cold snap too. Not as bad but hard to take this close to March.

Val Ewing said...

Ours were frosty the other morning too, and in the afternoon I saw a sun dog while driving back home from a hike!

I used to have a horse cartoon in my cubicle where I worked. It had one horse that was wrapped up in a gazillion blankets standing in the snow looking at another horse in the pasture.
The horse with the blankets and hoodies was saying: My owner got cold.

I loved that cartoon and it traveled with me from place to place.

2 more days to March! :)

Shirley said...

Val yes I know that cartoon!