Sunday, October 1, 2023

Darn deer!

 The waning full moon was setting at chore time yesterday. Love the pastel pink. 


The other day, deer got into my flower bed- little rotters stripped the bottom leaves of the sunflowers and chomped all the leaves and flowers and rosebuds of my yellow rose- and chomped all the foliage of the raspberry plant. So when I saw them the next day in the yard, brazen as can be....


I went out and hollered at them to chase them off. 
Ruby wasn't sure what the problem was, as she's used to deer in her pasture.


But when I went all gangster on them, she figured it was best to high tail it outa there!


Our pasture is holding out well, despite all the heavy frost. Now that the majority of the bugs are gone it's time to do my fall deworming program for the horses. Hopefully it will catch any bots they may have, it's probably been long enough for them to mature enough to pass from the wormer. 

Ted is building a shaping block for my bosal; I want to try it on Ruby as I think that's all she will need . If you don't know what I'm talking about, check online for how to shape a bosal. They have to fit properly to work properly, and mine is too wide without being shaped. It will be fun to see how she does in it. 

My sister with the Rough Collies is coming up for another dog show next weekend, so that will be fun. She is bringing her puppy for it's first show- a lovely blue merle named Gemma. I also have a horse sale to attend on next Saturday- not to buy, but to see how the market is. It's a dispersal sale for a Driftwood breeder- these are the horses that are popular for ranch, roping, and barrel racing. Should be a fun weekend!

8 comments:

M said...

I see deer running around Red Deer quite a bit! ๐Ÿ˜Š

M said...

Happy Feast day of Saint Therese of Lisieux! ๐Ÿ’œ๐ŸŒน

Linda said...

Deer are so fun to watch, but not eating your garden. Our dogs keep all the deer away nowadays. We haven’t seen any in a long time.

You sure seem to have great pasture up there. That’s quite a blessing. Fatten them up before winter!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Deer eat everything in sight here...Chance used to keep them away...and now they are really brave:(

TeresaA said...

The deer are coming into my paddock. Which I don’t mind except thst they are stretching out my fence.

Shirley said...

Aurora- pulled my garden today. Carrots and sunflowers are all that's left!
How is miss Hope doing? Would love to see her photos again!

threecollie said...

Deer sure can be pests! I finally have one baby watermelon because they left that plant alone for a change. Not going to make it before frost but still....

Val Ewing said...

Those deer can certainly be pests.
You had frost already! Of course you are much further north than I am.

We may have frost this week.