Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Barn cat saga

 Once again, the barn cat numbers are diminished. 

And then there were three....

Smokey disappeared a couple of days ago. He was always the first in line at feeding time (very demanding, he was!) so when he wasn't there one morning , I knew something was amiss. Haven't seen him since, and he was an adventure cat so I assume he went into coyote territory and met his fate. So we are down to Smudge, Misty and Bandit. 

Speaking of Bandit.....

Don't look so innocent, I know what you're up to!

Yes it's that time, Misty is 6 months old now and  I saw Bandit "ploinking" her this morning. So about mid January there should be more kittens. How they will fare, who knows. These cats hang out in the little barn where I had Gussie, and the top floor of the barn is all straw bedded  so perhaps that's where the kittens will be born. If the tom cats don't get them. We pretty much let nature take it's course around here when it comes to the feral cats. 

5 comments:

Linda said...

They sure are beautiful feral cats. Maybe he will make his way home someday.

aurora said...

How sad :( Nature can be cruel, sorry!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Coyotes, Eagles and Owls are pretty good at hunting cats.

Val Ewing said...

Bandit sure was beautiful. Hopefully he is just out prowling around or as you said...
nature took its course.

lytha said...

If I had feral cats I'd feed them too, and mourn their absences. Somehow it would be easier if they weren't pets, on my bed every night. No more cats for us, our hearts are forever broken. A neighbor's cat has been wandering in our yard from time to time and my husband went to make friends with her - we're both so hopeful to have a cat around. But this is not a place for cats.

Our pasture was torn up twice this month by wild pigs and I mean torn to pieces. The good thing is the forest rangers/hunter association must take care of wild animal damage, because it's their jobs to control wildlife. Especially since they pay us a yearly fee to hunt on our land. So they come to smoothe our pasture back into place, it's amazing how well they can do it. Next week we have to keep our animals in all day as they plan to hunt the wild pigs that are causing them so much trouble. Boars are the only dangerous animal in Germany. I'm very wary of them.