Thursday, July 9, 2026

Summer lull

 I have flowers! Finally.... 

The one I want to share with you is an iris I brought with me when we moved from Creston 4 years ago. It didn't like the 1st location I chose for it- too much morning shade- so I moved it to a full sun south facing location last year. This year it burst forth in all its glory! 




The name of this iris variety is Starship Enterprise. My sister gave me the rhizome 6 years ago, it did bloom once in Creston and I am so happy that it is happy! I do have one more that I brought with me but it isn't quite ready to bloom this year. I am hoping it is orange, but more likely it will be purple- cant remember which one I brought with me.  

We had a little change of plans with Happy- I am still sending her to Shayla at weaning, but since she seems to be quite healthy other than the melanoma lump on her neck she is getting one more year at least. Shayla won a stud fee to a very well bred stallion called French Eye Candy who is a son of the great Dinero (aka PC Frenchmans Hayday) Barrel racing fans will know who he is. So Happy and Tuffy have been there for the last week; I should be picking them up this weekend. 


Interesting thing about this stallion, he had a color change from sorrel with a flaxen mane to dark chestnut with a darker mane. 


Yes it is the same horse, I checked his markings closely. 

I also have an update. Some of you may remember that Gussie had a foal from Shayla' s Percheron stallion Layne, and she threw a blue roan filly. That filly, Evie, is now 3 years old and getting started under saddle. 


Pretty girl, isn't she? Draft crosses are becoming very popular, especially as trail and ranch horses. 

I got all my hay in the barn now for next winter; I opted to buy last year's hay, same supplier, as it is going to be iffy for putting up hay without rain around here, and first cutting hay will be already over ripe and stemmy, which also means later cut doesn't give much time to put up a second cut. So I figured to get hay that I know is good, even if it is a year old. 

Now, some summer weather please, with no tornado or hail warnings, all of which have been ongoing for the last 2 weeks. 


6 comments:

TeresaA said...

That is quite a colour change. I know foals can change quite a bit but I didn’t know grown horses could!

Linda said...

I can see the blaze is the same, but otherwise it looks like a different horse, for sure. Coloring is crazy.

I like crosses with draft horses. They seem to be really smart and sure footed. A friend of mine just bought one.

I bought year old hay last season. Same thing, I knew how good it was, which was right. This year’s hay is in the barn, but it’s not quite up to par with that other two batches I got.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Your Iris is just stunning! We have had storms every night about 30 miles from here a tornado was down on the ground for seven miles and did lots of damage. Luckily all we had was some leaves on the ground from those storms.

Shirley said...

Me neither unless it was to go grey

Shirley said...

We had mostly landspouts that did minimal damage. Lots of hail but not here

aurora said...

Wow, that is a colorful Iris!! Gussie's foal is a pretty girl.

Hard to believe that is the same stud. Especially the mane. Seasons and supplements can certainly alter color, but not as much. I wonder if other horses with similar lineage also had solid color changes. Very interesting.