Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Leo is a good boy

 So far, Leo has been easy to get along with. He seems to have a quiet mind and hasn't been emotional about being weaned. It really helps that he is with Tuffy who is so easy. I gave them a few days to settle into their relationship/routine before asking anything of Leo, other than touching him all over and running my hand down his legs  


The boys are getting along pretty good, although Tuffy has let Leo know that he is #1.  


They have their own feed spots in the barn, but do also eat out of the same pile. 

Tuffy is so huge compared to little Leo!



Yesterday I introduced Leo to the start of halter breaking. A little bit of pressure and release with a big soft rope, only working for a couple minutes so that he got the idea as the basis for the next phase....


Putting a halter on him. He didn't like it going over his nose but only backed up a couple of steps then stood quietly while I slipped it on and tied it then removed the neck rope.


 A short little session was enough, we will build on this every day until he is leading. I feel that it is really helpful that Tuffy is there with his calm presence. 

Leo was dewormed the day before he arrived and he did have a wormload, so hopefully he will soon start to get a shine to him and put weight on.  He is loving his Purina Maternity ration . I still have both boys together in my foaling pen until Leo is a bit more halter broke so they are getting good hay too. The herd dynamics have settled down; now the mares can go way out in the pasture without the boys getting upset. 


It's all about good management and keeping things going smoothly!

5 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

He is a smart boy too, I bet he will catch on to it all quickly! Have fun Shirley!

Leslie said...

He is with exceptional management

Leslie said...

He is with exceptional care

Linda said...

Cute little baby butts! 😍

aurora said...

Your horse care is always top notch! It is nice when they are on the quiet side.