Saturday, February 21, 2015

More on the contenders

I have video of 3 of the mares I am considering. Two of them I have ruled out, based on the videos and other info I have gleaned from various sources. First up is the dun mare, she is a granddaughter of Hollywood Dunnit.

This is not a current video of her, it was taken last fall. She has 7 months of professional training with Natalie and Wendy Weichel and is 7 years old. Here is a current video:

Next up is the buckskin mare; she has nice breeding with Fritz Command and Doc Bar as her great grandsires. She is 6 years old and has 2 months of professional training by Lindy Barron including working the flag and working buffalo.


The third mare is the Annie's cat daughter, her dam is a granddaughter of Colonel Freckles. I have a video of her loping and a conformation video. She has been ranch ridden.
This is the conformation video:



This video shows her being ridden at a lope.



So lets have your opinions folks! Give your preferences on which two you would eliminate.

I  am heading to Alberta tomorrow, I have 4 mares to look at over by High River at the Heintz Ranch. These mares are registered AQHA mares, between the ages of 6 and 8. Well started on lots of Cowboy Challenge obstacles, ridden outside, and I had a nice conversation with Doris Heintz, who is 80 years old and rides and shows a 5 year old gelding. She said that what most people call well broke they consider green broke. Bodes well for these mares I am going to be visiting! I'll be sure to take photos and videos to peruse before I make any final decisions.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the last one best. Don't ask me why, but I really like her the best.

Kalin said...

I like the last one as well!

Anonymous said...

#3 for me. #1 has some not so good training - very over flexed in the first video - I suspect a lot of riding in draw reins, not as bad in the second, but still nervous and over pressured and on the forehand due to the overflexing- some of that could be fixed with good training - would take some doing - but I also don't like that extra stocky body type.

#2 has potential, but seems a bit on the hot side, although it looked like they wanted her to be "sharp" in the video, and it shows - she's nervous.

#3 is very solid, and the ride she's getting is quiet and effective. I like her look as well.

Just my preferences - may not be yours.

Anonymous said...

I agree with number 3, the red horse with white socks. she is sturdy, solid, rides great, holds her head proudly. all around great horse!

CDH said...

They all look good. But the one that worked buffalo? Ha! Gotta be bomb proof...those suckers are nasty!
Good luck with the search. And ride em all! :)
Cheri

T.L. Merrybard said...

I like the top and bottom mares, rather partial to the red girl, she has such a great face and build. Also you would want to know if the top girl has done any trail riding since that is one thing you love to do. Horses that don't enjoy going out into the world are a pain if you want a partner to go on enjoyable rides with. Sometimes they can learn to love it, sometimes they never do.

The middle mare has a short, upside down neck and consequently a poor head carriage. I know it can be improved with schooling, but after an amazing front like Beamer's, I don't think you would enjoy having that head and neck in front of you.

texasnascarcowgirl said...

I'm going with the first one. She is over flexed and I think if that girl would get off her head she would lope out much better and perform better. she has a beautiful stop and I really like her looks.
I don't like #2, at all.
#3 is okay, I think she is a bit high headed. She has a nice body but I just can't get past her neck and head.

Janice said...

I don't like any of them.....sorry just my humble opinion.

Duddeks said...

Oh my, definitely the red one! She is so pretty. I agree with what Marilena Fenn said about her. #3!

whisper_the_wind said...

Of the three, I'd go with the third one. That being said, I hope the 4 you're going to see are more impressive. Can't wait to see pictures and videos.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

I like the way the last one moves, seems to have more freedom in her movement and yet is nicely controlled