Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Riding and schooling and still searching!

While everyone back east is getting hammered with cold and snow, we are enjoying balmy weather.  The other day I had my first ride without a jacket this year- so beautiful! Beamer was happy to get out and go for a stroll.
There is still water lying on the ground, but the mud is drying up. And yes for you picky types, I don't hold my reins correctly for one-handed; I cross them over the same way as if I was using a snaffle, that way I don't drop a  rein. From here we rode back out to the gravel road that goes by our place, in the video it is just ahead and on the right. If you turn your volume up a bit you can hear Josie whinnying for her daddy right at the end of the video. When I pan to the right, you are looking at Idaho.
Steps out mighty fine for a little horse!
I even took old Reba along for the ride, we kept it short so she wouldn't get too sore and tired. She was so happy to get out just like old times! I really thought last September on her 13th birthday that it would be our last trail ride but that cancer surgery in December made all the difference.
  The next day I worked on trimming Josie's feet and then decided it was high time little miss was put in kindergarten, horse style. I sacked her out a bit with a towel, after the usual wide eyed what-the-heck-do-you-have-there-will-it-eat-me look she was fine with me flipping it all over her, fussed a little a couple of times but not bad for a first try.
Yeah I know the halter is loose....
After that I worked on moving her feet. She is pretty good at moving her hip with just a look at her hind quarters but it was a bit more work to get her to move her shoulder over- and then bang, her attention span had reached its limit  and she wanted to leap around and enjoy the beautiful day and being out of her pen for the first time in a long time. Not bad for a first mini session! One thing I like about her is that she is really good with her feet, lets me crawl around on the ground while I fuss with getting things right. Good girl Josie, it was fun!

Still haven't found the perfect mare, have another couple I'm considering but I think it's going to be a long grind- and I want one now!

6 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Good to hear that Reba is better! BC's love a routine so it is great that she got to go along! It looks like spring there...lucky you! :)

aurora said...

Ground water makes for some nice reflections. Fun riding out with trusty companions!

Anonymous said...

Glad Reba's enjoying life. Josie is a smart one, and very pretty to boot. Hope you find the right mare soon!

C-ingspots said...

Hi there, first time visitor. I think I've seen you comment on some other blogs I follow though. Beautiful sky!! Beautiful horses!! We're on the same half of the country and are enjoying spring-like weather too. Feeling blessed about that! Hope you find that perfect mare...I've always preferred mares too.

Shirley said...

Hi C-ingspots, nice to have you aboard!

Unknown said...

Josie is such a cutie!! I like following your mare search posts ;) I love "horse-shopping", that Annie's Cat is cute and I've heard good things about them. Saw Annie's Cat show a lot in AZ too last year - cool stud.