Yesterday I hauled her to the local stable and used their outdoor arena- which is huge and has really nice footing. It was a perfect sunny afternoon.
We did walk/trot work, just trying to get her legged up for all the fun stuff I want to do this year. She is making good progress with some of the issues she came with. She no longer bloats up for saddling, she stands still when I mount (that was a real issue last summer) and no longer walks off right away as soon as my butt hits the saddle. She is learning that I like things slow and easy instead of just being in a big hurry. One thing that still need improvement is softening in the face. When I pick up the reins for a soft feel she dives into the bit and bumps herself. I try to use my legs to lift her in the back and have her in a nice frame but she isn't quite getting it yet- but she will. She was softer last summer, just needs refreshing. And I need to develop better timing with my cues. I am woefully out of time with her reaching foot! I'll get better too ;o) I think I am going to use a different bridle on her too, I find the mecate reins too heavy.
When I got her home, she got to graze for a while- her favourite thing- and it was funny watching Thea grab the lead rope- I think I could train her how to lead the horse! She isn't afraid of the horse and also doesn't pester her.
3 comments:
At least she didn't go far! She is a beauty:)
We've been riding here too trying to get horse (and us) legged up for calving.....I notice some of my cues are off a little yet...it will come back, it usually does.
A natural lawn mower is better than one that runs on a motor :D
Post a Comment