C'mon, lets go!
I saw a lot of deer tracks and then a set of single deer tracks that looked like it would be a big buck. There were coyote tracks right on top of the deer tracks, but they were fresher than the deer so I'm thinking it was tracking the deer but didn't catch up with it.
Those coyote tracks are twice the size of Thea's tracks.
I really enjoyed this walk, it was a beautiful day, sun poking out, and nice and mild. It felt good to get out and get some exercise after being cooped up and sick since January 6th; I'm finally almost better.
The river was gurgling and burbling through this hole in the ice. It looks pretty good, I think all the flood danger is past for now. The government sent in heavy equipment to open up a channel along the banks, and it worked pretty good, the level dropped at least a couple of feet in one day.
Looking upstream from where I was on the dyke.
I sure hope the worst of the winter is past us now. I'm sure we'll still get lots of snow storms, but I hope that it stays fairly mild.
I love walking in the woods, this is something I really missed at the last place we lived. (7 years!!!)
Here are some of the things that captured my attention.
Not too sure what these red berries are but they looked outstanding against the cedar tree....
and on their own. I'll have to check it in the spring and see what the bush looks like- it was at least 10 ft. tall. Tara, any ideas? It's not mountain ash.
I love the pop of colour on this tree, and I saw lots of Oregon Grape too- it's green leaves are always delightful against the snow.
Thea and I made our way back, sometimes I would have her wait up for me if she got too far ahead.
We walked back along the bottom of the horse pen so we could collect Reba at the barn on our way back to the house. Rosalee had to investigate why we were coming from that direction.
Had to have a horse photo of course! Well, maybe two, because Beamer was being silly...
10 comments:
Oh my goodness Beamer, ha ha - his funny yawn made me laugh! Thea looks tall for her breed, is she? Glad you are feeling better. You live in such a beautiful area! You found a lot of color on your walk. Love the photos, thanks for taking us along!!
Such a pretty photo of Miss Thea in the snow. Gotta love Beamer too!! :)
So nice to be out in the fresh air! Shirley, the berries look like high bush cranberries. We have some bushes about 3 miles from the farm that Curt's family has visited for decades. We make syrup (mom and Curt are always asking if there are more jars), jelly and Curt's dad, who lived to be 100, made juice and had a shot every day. That is, until he ran out and would have to wait for next season. If the pits are round but flat, that would be a solid clue.
Oh! Thanks Kim, I'll have to check them out. I didn't pick any.
Aurora- Thea is in the gangly teenage stage, she is bout the same height as Tess. Over the next year she should really start to fill out.
I was going to guess at high bush cranberries also. So interesting about making syrup and jelly from them!
I have pictures from my trail cameras that show coyotes stepping in deer tracks to take the path of least resistance. Most of my trail cams take a series of three pix in a burst and you can see coyotes stepping from one track to another. Gotta keep those feet dry!
LOVE your pix of the cedar and berries. Never would have guessed what that tree was. Cedars here in NY don't look like that.
Great pix of the four-legged beasts, everyone looks so healthy!
I would say Mountain Ash but you are sure it is not. what does the tree look like and where is it at? like can you take a few pictures of the bush around it and maybe I can place it in my head.
Tara it's right along the dyke south of the mare pen just before where the main access to the dyke is. It is a large spindly bush that grows right beside the cedar and on the dyke bank. Not a tree, more of a bush.
I am just really not sure what it is... It doesn't look like the birds are eating them either? If you are down and around there again see if you can get a close up of the berries for me and the bark. Now you have me curious!
Looks like a pretty place to have a walk, having cranberries there would be great...if they are cranberries.
And sill Beamer!
Started raining here, too. I guess the temps got up to the 40's, but we weren't here to witness it. Now the temps are back hovering around 31. I'm not a fan of the in-between. The snow looks dirty and it's icier, too. I have to lock Red up. Glad you got out for a hike though. It looks wonderful!
Post a Comment