Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Mesa's first time out

Today was kind of fun. Coulee has been pining for some grazing time, so I haltered her and baby and took them out into the bigger mare pen at first.

Since little miss was behaving herself I led them out of the pen into an area where there is some nicer grass for about 10 minutes of hand grazing.


Mama doesn't have a very big milk bag, so I think I will get her a mare supplement. Baby is 4 days old today and I'd like to see her gaining a bit more. Coulee is also in day 1 of her foal heat so I am expecting Mesa to get scours soon.

Coulee has finally chilled out a bit and isn't so worried about her foal. She was pretty anxious for the last 3 days but is finally realising that she can let baby romp around and not get all panicky. Maiden mares! (insert eyeroll!)


I am quite smitten with miss Mesa. She is quite smart, has taken to the halter training quite easily, and she is just so darn pretty!



4 comments:

Linda said...

There is a lot to this whole breeding and raising babies! But how sweet to experience it. I'm taking notes. If Shiloh breeds Cowgirl next year, she will be a maiden mare. I imagine she'll be super protective, too. I want to learn to make rope halters. Are they hard?

Shirley said...

Once you get the hang of building the fiador knot (under the chin) it isn't too hard.

aurora said...

She is a doll! Glad she's got a good mama.

T.L. Merrybard said...

I can see why you're smitten!