Thursday, June 15, 2017

Oh all right already, lets guess!!!!

Since a few folks have asked, we will do a foal poll for Belle's baby.
Here is the story:
 Belle foaled on June 5th last year.  She was AI'd on her 1 month heat, sometime in early July. Ultrasounded as not in foal: This is the stallion:
His barn name is Woodrow, here is his pedigree :http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/dun+it+ok.He is homozygous for black and dun. Here are his accomplishments:
47 ABRA points, ABRA ROM Dun Factor, 6 ABRA Halter points
AQHA Open Reining Point Earner
NRHA money earner
RHANW Year End High Points & money earner

After that, she was put in the harem of another stallion for pasture breeding. His barn name is Winston and this is his pedigree: http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/rollin+in+my+dually

She was with him from July 27 to August 31. He was unshown due to an eye injury, but his sire CD O lena was a well known champion cutting horse.
 Here is a link to the web page of the farm that owns these great stallions: Fleetwood Farms 

So- here is the deal. Belle started bagging up on June 5th. I checked and her bag is not quite fully distended as of today- but she has milk. Here are today's photos:


Belle carries the cream dilution gene, and she is homozygous for black and heterozygous for bay. For those who are not familiar with equine coat colour genetics, that means that she can throw black, brown or bay foals, with the possibility of a dilution of those 3 colours: smokey black, smokey brown, or buckskin.
IF she is in foal to the Dun stallion, you can add in the fact that he is homozygous for dun and black: all his foals are dun and black based. So you can add in grulla, smokey grulla, classic dun (bay dun) or dunskin. Due to the fact that Woodrow's colts will all be dun, that rules out buckskin, straight black or brown.

IF she is bred to the sorrel stallion, she could have a smokey black, buckskin, bay, brown or black foal.

Here is how the poll works:
You can guess which stallion, which colour, and colt or filly.

To simplify things, here is a chart.

Stallion: Woodrow 
Colour choices:  grulla, smokey grulla, bay dun, or dunskin. EDITED: Just found out that Woodrow also carries one copy of the cream dilute gene, so that adds some other choices: Smokey cream dun and smokey perlino.
Choose colt or filly

Stallion: Winston
Colour choices: Smokey black, buckskin, bay, brown, or black.
Choose colt or filly.

For the sake of simplicity, we are lumping smokey black and smokey brown together.


As for time frame, if it's the first one she was bred to, she would be 11 months and a week. If it's the second stallion, she would be 10 months and a week. (roughly)
Her history is 11 months and from 10 to 20 days before foaling.
So take a look at those photos, and give it your best guess! Do you trust the vet's ultrasound? Do you think she is bred to the second stallion with the possibility of foaling early?  You can include the day and time in your guess.

I will round up some local products sure to please whoever has closest to the winning guess!

23 comments:

Cricket said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cricket said...

My guess is a Smokey Grulla, colt, born on June 21st (Solstice). You could name him Smokin' the Sun. :)

lytha said...

That chestnut reminds me of Jac. Do you know Jac?

http://tinyurl.com/y9v26tzw

The first video, "evaluating Jac" shows the prettiest QH I've ever seen, with the best trot too.

aurora said...

Well either way, Belle is going to have one heck of a foal - lucky you!!!

lytha said...

Fleetwood's website is wonderful, but even better, they require genetic testing starting this year, to protect the breed they love. Wouldn't it be great if everyone did this? I'm disgusted by all the carriers breeding in the Arabian world. They say the breed needs the diversity, they dare not cut them out, but still, those poor babies, let's try harder to eliminate disease.

Shirley said...

Lytha- yes I know about Jac. He carries some of the same bloodlines as Coyote Belle, as she too has Shining Spark for her paternal grandsire. Jac also has Hollywood Jac 86 as his maternal grandsire, and Rosalee has him as her paternal great grandsire.

Shirley said...

Karen- pick a time :)

Linda said...

Oh man, I don't know. Too many variables! I'll say 2 am, 4th of July, stud colt, buckskin.

WendyFromNY said...

Wait....what??? LOL! I'm OUT! This is way over my head, I'll wait and be surprised...

Cricket said...

High Noon.

Might as well go with the theme. :)

Shirley said...

Linda: I edited my post to reflect that all Woodrow's foals will be dun factored, so I need to know if you will amend your guess, or id it is Winston that you are picking as the sire of a buckskin foal.

sahara4d said...

I going with Woodrow as the sire. June 30th at 3:20 am , dunskin colt. P.S. I love the candles that I won in the last contest!

Shirley said...

Sahara- so glad you love them! She makes lovely candles.

T.L. Merrybard said...

Grulla filly, Woodrow the daddy, born the 23rd of June at 3am.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Stallion: Winston
Colour choices: Buckskin
Filly named Fireworks
July 4 4 AM

I hope it is just a healthy foal:)

Rebecca said...

Woodrow, grulla,6/25,4am

Rebecca said...

Colt :)

aurora said...

Shirley, I wish I knew half of what you do about bloodlines!! I try to read up on them, but...there is soooo much to learn - and much is opinion based. I keep sending Brad Fleetwood Farm stuff to check out, ever since I learned about them on here. You are such a wealth of knowledge! I will silently be guessing :)

Crystal said...

Id like to hope its Winston I sure like him. But the way she looks I'd guess Woodrow. June 22 4 am Grulla filly

cdncowgirl said...

Woodrow: Dunskin colt, June 23, 2am

thecrazysheeplady said...

Woodrow. Colt. June 24 6 a.m. Bay dun aka no clue ;-).

Sarah said...

Bay filly born July 4 and it will be gorgeous!

Betsy in WI said...

Woodrow

Colt
Smoky Grulla

June 29, 5 am.

Name idea; Sleigh Ride

Betsy in WI