Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Playin' around

I'm calling this Day 20 of the 100 day challenge, even though I didn't ride. I took Rosalee over to the maze and tires and worked her in hand.
First the maze- she did everything I asked including sidepassing over the boards, turns on the haunches and on the forehand and backing. She looked bored!
Then it was on to the tires. She spent some time looking at them....


and contemplating licking them....


and then off she went through them. Slooooowly, like "do I really hafta? Is this all you got?"


She was pretty ho-hum about it all as you can see in this video. 


Definitely not challenging to her! But this is the mare who can tip toe her way through panels laying on the ground, and tools and construction stuff while Ted was building the shelter- she was into everything! Had to lock her up to keep her nosy self out!
I am going to have to get busy with building stuff. I need some plastic barrels, so I can set them up for things like backing around them and sidepassing over them while they are laying on the ground; some ground poles that I can set in different configurations etc.

I took her down to the pond too, and "loaded" her into it.


The water has really dropped. I thought she would splash more but she was more interested in eating that swamp grass. Poor starving thing.....


Yeah. This is the mare that wouldn't go near the pond while under saddle a month ago, without me insisting. Silly thing.

Today is dentist day for Beamer, it has been quite a while since he was done. He has been having trouble chewing, so I think we are going to find lots of issues in his mouth.

Belle is hanging in there- is it just me or does her belly not look as dropped as it was?


Her bag is finally getting bigger too,


but still a ways from being as full as I have seen it before. But that can change in a very short time. I will be keeping a very close eye on her now.

I have some sad news to share, Sarah-one of my friends in Tennessee- lost her foal this morning, a paint colt. It is just heartbreaking to lose a foal as some of us know, so please feel free to send her some love in the comments.

8 comments:

Linda said...

Yeah, Rosalee does not have water issues. LOL. This is awesome work you're doing and will pay off BIG on the trail. I count any extra training work I do with them as a day in the 100--ground or saddle. I was wondering why you weren't counting them, but everyone does it differently. I set low goals for myself. haha.

Shirley said...

I had lots of ground work days, could be way higher in the count by now! :0)

aurora said...

Belle looks very dropped to me, hard to tell in comparison. Sorry your friend had to go through the tragic loss of a foal, so heartbreaking. Since Rosalee is moving through these obstacles with ease, perhaps (gradually) set them up further away & closer to areas where she is most concerned. While tires do roll, there are probably lighter/natural things you could incorporate. I love maneuvering obstacles both in-hand & saddle! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!!!

Crystal said...

I like the bored look when they do stuff :)

I still feel sorry for Belle, she needs to pop that baby out already.

And sorry to for Sarah for losing her foal, that's always a hard thing

T.L. Merrybard said...

I'm sorry to hear that, Sarah. It must be devastating. I had one I thought was in foal who ended up not and that was bad enough!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Oh my I am so sorry about your friends foal, that is sad.
I hope Belle and her foal will be okay. :)

Ruth said...

Clever Rosalee! Poor Belle is huge! That must be a big baby in there...

So sorry about your friend's foal. :(

Kurious Kim said...

Sorry to hear about your foal, Sarah. We had to put a one day old foal down and it was absolutely heartbreaking.