Monday, December 18, 2017

Upgrade on the mare shelter

Finally, no more ratty blue tarp on the mare shelter.
The guys got at it yesterday.


Strapped with 1x4s to start with, which involved self-tapping screws, a power plant and boy toys (power tools).
I locked the horses in the foaling pen at morning feeding time so they didn't decide to be helpful.


Once the strapping was done, sheeting with used tin began .....


I always worry when Ted uses a zip cut when he cuts metal as he had a blade blow up on him a few years ago and got major damage to a finger. But all went well this time.


See that extra tin on this end? It was wrapped around the frame and tucked in behind the plywood kick board. All exposed tin edges were wrapped inwards on itself to make a safety edge.


All sheeted in and then the building inspectors had to check it out .


Now they can't flip their feed out onto the dirt on the other side. I have two rubber mats that I put the hay on - it's old conveyor belting.
This project was done just in time, because last night we got snow, with more in the forecast.


This was an inexpensive project, the original car shelter frame was here when we moved in, the tin and plywood are used and salvaged from other projects- I think we paid $1 per sheet for the tin and nothing for the plywood- and the only other purchases were the 1x4s and the screws. Total cost around $70.

6 comments:

aurora said...

Looks like the inspectors approve of their shelter renovation!!

Crystal said...

Looks good. I had wondered about the edges of the tin, that's a good idea to turn them underneath the plywood.

Linda said...

I love it! It's perfect for the horses and a great use of materials! That is the absolute best shelter for horses--they can choose when to go in or stay out. Of course, they usually choose to be out.

IanH said...

Amazing what you can do with repurposed material. Look great!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Perfect! It will keep them dry! And their hay dry to and a wind break...I love the colors of the roof:)

C-ingspots said...

Wonderful progress you're making! Wow, it's been forever since I've visited any of my favorite blogs. Just wanted to stop by and wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas and bunches of God's blessings in the coming new year! And your beautiful critters too, of course! Those youngins' are getting BIG! :)