It had been a while since I worked with Sparkle. Yesterday I started back on her training program. My goals: Have her stand at the hitching rail to be saddled is #1. Not necessarily tied, looped over is fine as it gives her a bit of movement to back up if she gets concerned, but she does have to stand for saddling. So, yesterday she chose working in the round pen over being saddled at the hitching rail. However it only took less than 10 minutes for her to remember that it's a lot of work to say no, and I got her saddled. Part of the plan is that I don't ride her unless she lets me saddle her from the start, so instead of riding her after saddling, I put the snaffle bridle on her and bitted her up. She is not accustomed to wearing a bit, so she fussed with it a bit but didn't really have much problem in giving to the rein pressure.

Today, I gave her the chance to say yes and she took it. Which brings me to goals: #2 Riding her only after she is good on the ground.
I saddled her with the lead rope only looped around the hitching rail, she backed 1 step when I threw the saddle up which to me is acceptable on this particular horse. Then I took her into the bottom of the foaling pen, which is kind of like a mini arena, to do some ground work and assess her some more. It was interesting finding her points of resistance and learning how to get past them without adding too much pressure; she is super sensitive and too much pressure gives a huge reaction with her.
The reason I ask for the horse to step over on the hind end in this exercise is because it sets them up for the one rein stop which is crucial for safety, especially on a green horse or one I am unfamiliar with.
Sorry about the barking, Tay thinks when I click to the horse that it's a signal for her to help.
After the ground work I bridled her and checked her around using the off side rein around the saddle horn and getting her to follow the rein around turning away from me. 4 times each side - good on the left turn but had to work a little more on the right turn. After that, I thought about stopping but decided to once again give her the benefit of the doubt.
She followed me in a nice join up so I figured it was a good time to step on. At first she was a little concerned about the bit when I picked up the reins, but as soon as she realized that I wasn't taking a firm hold she relaxed and we had a nice little ride. I used two hands at first to make sure she was ok with guiding (Janice only rode her bitless) but soon went to one hand and used legs and body to turn with minimal reining. I think a few more days of riding her like this and making sure she is comfortable with me using the snaffle on her and we should be able to go out to a bigger arena and then on to trail riding. Am I being cautious, maybe too cautious? Perhaps, but better safe than sorry. If she spooks at something on the trail I want her to completely understand what it means when I pick up a rein and do a one rein stop in a hurry.
Time to give this mare a purpose in life!
Riding day 47
3 comments:
one rein stops need to be taught to all horses and people. It saves lives!
Also, why do you think she is like she about being saddled? I had a horse that would pull back on everything. I could not get him passed that so I went and got a halter that was just for that. when they pulled back it would tighten around his head. I used it and got him used to the pressure and all of that, then I tied him up with it. He pulled back and the halter did it's job. I think it only took a few times for him to realize he didn't like that very much and he quit. I never had to use it again. I don't recommend it for someone that does not know or understand horses and what is going on but it was a great tool for me.
You are doing a fantastic job with Sparkle, I love your videos and such. I can't wait to see you out on her enjoying life.
Never too cautious!
Amy- not sure the reason (nor is Janice) but today I saddled her at the hitching rail again, so we are making progress. I think it is an emotional thing with her, or maybe a part of her diva attitude- but every day we make progress.
Post a Comment