Monday, January 13, 2020

A winter's day ride

We are still fairly mild here, waiting for the predicted polar vortex to make it's presence felt, but not yet! Yesterday I decided to try riding Gussie bareback with just a bosal. After finding a high enough mounting block (upturned half barrel) I managed to climb up and off we went. The snow pack is perfect for riding, cushions all the rocks although I do have to be careful riding in the bush as it hides branches and tripping hazards.


Gussie is such a joy to ride. She strides right out, looks at everything and doesn't spook. She has a few opinions about things but that just makes her interesting! She's a red head, not a dead head!



I love the silence of winter riding especially bareback. No creaking saddle, no noisy hoofbeats.

I think she appreciated me riding bareback after a year of ill fitting saddles. We have sorting coming up this weekend, so I'll have to saddle her for that but I am looking forward to more bareback rides this winter.

Riding day 4

3 comments:

WendyFromNY said...

She really does appear to be enjoying it! I'm sure you did too!

aurora said...

Glad you are getting out and enjoying the mild weather. It's nice that you can switch things up with Gussie and she just goes along with it.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Nice ride!