Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Fun with Moondance

Now we enter into the fun part of working with Moondance. Let the sacking out and obstacle courses begin!
One of my tools is a raggy old white tarp. You may remember past posts like when I was working with Drifter with this tarp. It's one of those tarps that has a fibre woven through it so it doesn't easily get holes in it, like for example from little hooves! Perfect for little creatures to stomp, chew, and drag.

First I drag the tarp into the pen while leading him, to gauge whether he is curious or fearful.


Well that's good! Curious colts are much easier to work with than fearful reactive ones. 

Next step is … well a step! will he walk over it? 



That didn't take long! From there, I picked it up and bunched it up and let him get used to the sound and feel of it, before putting it on his back. 


Then it was time to see if he would walk with it on his back. 

Instinct took over.....


so I spent more time rubbing him with it, and draping it on him before asking him to move with it on one more time.  


I love how unconcerned he was when it dropped off him. He is such a good minded colt! 
We ended the session there. 
The next day, I ponied him on the trails- out on the lease, and it was such a lovely day. Being a Monday, I was pretty sure we wouldn't see anyone walking their dogs, and I was right. It was such a perfect ride. I had done the Masterson Method on Gussie the day before,- I only got to step 3, but got tons of releases- and she was really relaxed. Such an enjoyable ride. 


We went to the end and checked out the gate that leads to places I haven't explored yet, I plan to come with an ax and clear the brush to make it easier to get through this very narrow gate, then take Gussie by herself and do some exploring.


On the way back, Gussie stepped up the pace a little but, without breaking into her usual little jog. Moondance had to lengthen his stride to keep up, but he didn't trot. Pretty good for a colt who will only be 6 months old in a couple of days.


Back home, , standing tied for a while before being turned back into pasture.

Just a couple o' good horses. 


Riding day 51

3 comments:

M said...

shux! 💜💜💜

aurora said...

You sure do have a couple of good horses!! Moondance is really getting solid at being ponied. Time well spent <3

Far Side of Fifty said...

You make a great team, you and Gussie and Moondance! He did real well with the tarp...even the little hop toward the end when he was walking on it:) I can see he is a curious but trusting colt...what fun for you!