Sunday, November 1, 2020

In the crisp clear air

I do love autumn riding! So beautiful and crisp, not hot and not cold, no pesky bugs- perfect!

Took Moondance for a little stroll, started on the road before heading down into the brush. We had to pass the neighbour's dogs who rush the fence and yell fiercely. I kept Gussie on the dog side, she pretty much ignores them. Moondance got a little up on his toes but Gussie's calmness let him know there was nothing to worry about.



As I was taking this video I was imagining how it will be when I eventually get to ride him and look at the world through those cute li'l ears!

Next day I rode Gussie, first a bit of a schooling ride on the property- she is so stiff to the right again. I need to take the time to do the Masterson Method on her and see if I can get her to loosen up. 
Then we rode out onto the lease that actually didn't get used by the cow guy this year, and it shows. There is a lot of grass in there!

This spot is usually grazed right down

The road to the view

That is a huge cedar tree! It may not look like it in this photo but it's about 4 ft across at the base.


I spend a lot of time on this ride looking up at the trees, there are huge cottonwoods/poplar trees that draw the eye upwards. Some of them are gnarly and broken so I also check for broken branches that are barely suspended and likely to fall- widowmakers, they call them.

On my way back there were a couple with their Rottweiler dog who came up from the river and were walking back . I called out a hello but they didn't hear me, although their dog did. He was interested in us and they weren't too successful in getting him to come back to them. Gussie isn't afraid of dogs, but with a loose dog like that one thing I always do is turn my horse to face the dog as it circles us. As I told the people, (who were busy telling me that their dog is really nice and not mean at all) that one kick from my horse could kill their dog. They were quick to put a leash on him after that!

We have a couple more nice days in the forecast so I want to keep riding as long as I can before it gets rainy again, which is in the forecast.

Riding day 49 and 50



5 comments:

aurora said...

I am so glad you were not ponying Moondance when you ran into the couple with the loose Rottie!! He probably is a nice dog, but interacting with a new horse on the trail is not the time to test manners. People just don't get the safety concerns with horses. I look up a lot when I trail ride too, it's breathtaking riding among majestic trees.

TeresaA said...

What a stunning place to ride.

Linda said...

Oh no. I was walking Tumbleweed once, on the trails, alone, and a Lady showed up with 3 loose dogs. She took them the opposite direction, and they didn’t seem to see us, but my heart stopped. There is a leash rule in that park, and she was in the equestrian area. 😡 Masterson Method works very well for loosening them up. My practitioner is doing a lot of points on Leah’s face around the jaw. It’s tied to the poll. Actually, it’s all connected. There are points under her tail that also give her a lot of relief in the poll. So much to learn.

thecrazysheeplady said...

Beautiful ride!

M said...

autumn is to me, the most blessed time of the year next to the birth of Jesus. I love it.