It has been a pretty tough week for me. As most of you know, Tess was diagnosed with a bone tumor at the beginning of April, and I chose to medicate her for palliative care as long as possible.
It was obvious that she was going downhill rapidly at the beginning of the week, so I took her to the vet for x-rays. The tumor had weakened the bone and it broke completely; the x-ray also showed tumors spread throughout her gut.
So... yes it was time to make the call.
I had prepared her grave ahead of time, and lined it with a blanket and magnolia blossoms, and I spent an hour with her, heart to heart. She never took her eyes off me and pretty much told me she was ready.
Those sweet sweet eyes told the story. No longer bright and full of the spark of love and life.
This is the end of an era for us, with both Merle and Tess gone in the span of less than 3 months, no more dogs for us. They were our heart dogs - even more so than Reba, Tess was special to me.
Perfection can't be replaced.
I reckon Jesus the Good Shepherd needed a little help rounding up all the strays who have left the flock these last few years.



13 comments:
So sorry for your loss. It's a difficult decision but definitely kinder for her in this situation. Lovely memorial.
I am so sorry. It is so hard to say goodbye to the great ones. Hugs
It is so hard to say goodbye. Thank you for making the call and giving her a peaceful passage. I
Yes I can see in her eyes that she was ready and needed some help from her best friend. I am so sorry Shirley. I know how bad your heart hurts. She will be in your heart forever. Rest in peace sweet Tess...maybe she will see Chance:)
What a lovely tribute. I see why you say it’s the end of an era. She was so immersed in your lives. I’m happy you had extra time with her, and I hope her memory stays strong in you and brings you much joy to remember, after the sorrow passes. Rest In Peace, sweet angel, Tess.
Oh Shirley I'm so sorry that's such a tough loss to deal with. She was a special girl
may God always bless you, those that you love. Sorry for your loss. its never easy. the Lord is with you both.
Condolences to you and Ted. I'm glad you have so man beautiful photos to go along with your memories. Makes me wonder how many I have of Sadie and motivates me to take more. R.I.P. Tess.
I'd been praying for her for weeks, worrying about you.
How fitting that Jesus is the good Shepherd, with yours and my one and only dog in my life, a German Shepherd. Never again.
I understand completely. I rmember vividly what it was to be "god" to a dog. I'll never have that again.
Once was enough.
So sorry for your loss of a great friend. It's always a hard decision but you made the right one for her. She'll always be with you in your heart and I'm sure she'll be watching over you and walking beside you even though you can't see her.
So sorry for the lost of your little heart doggie. She is so lucky to have a one-owner life, and an owner who loves her dearly. Hugs to you during this difficult time, Shirley.
I am very sorry Shirley. My heart is broken for both of you.
Oh Shirley, I am so very sorry. I know you are at peace with your timely decisions. Doesn't make it any easier. It is all so damn hard. I am glad you had special time together to say goodbye, it is important for both souls. She knew. Sending you healing hugs.
Beautiful tribute for your sweet girl. May Tess rest in peace.
Post a Comment