Saturday, January 15, 2022

Test ride

 Today was the day! After 3 days of depressing fog, the sun came out today and got me motivated. 

Our snow pack has melted to about half the volume and it is wet and sloppy so my round pen has decent footing. 

It was saddle up and ride time! First a little ground work to make sure Sophie was ok with the footing at walk trot and lope, then I just stepped on to ride. Well, let me clarify that... I led her to the mounting stool and got on on the off side as my left hip doesn't cooperate for stepping up from the ground. 


She stood quietly, I flexed her around both ways and asked her to walk. And asked again, a couple of times. We walked. A few times around, each way, then checking her steering and response to leg pressure; both work. Her back up is serviceable. 

What I found is that she has more whoa than go. and definitely sees no point in going around and around in the pen. 

The good points:

*She never offered to go faster than I asked her to; wasn't "goosey" at all; was light on the rein , and understood leg pressure. 

*Absolutely no buck or silliness.

The needs work points:

*When she sees no point in what I am doing, she just stops. (Perhaps I will need to be more clear and persistent in my ask.)

*When she says no, she tugs on the rein and bobs her head. (My solution is to keep asking; rein first, add leg, and wait for a give then reward the try. )

It wasn't a long ride, just a get -to-know-ya kind of ride

I'm done with this round pen stuff, there's the gate, lets go!

Now it's just a matter of having somewhere to ride and someone to ride with. Once I know Sophie better I won't have any hesitation in riding out on the trails with her by myself, but it's wise to err on the side of caution first and have a riding partner. 

7 comments:

Linda said...

Yay, you and Sophie! She sounds like she has the right things going for her. Some horses just don’t do well with what they see as pointless work. Now we just need the ice and snow to melt so you can get out on the trails with her.

M said...

I'm a greenhorn chicken liver! I'd never ride without a riding friend! 😊

aurora said...

Awesome! This is all kinds of promising. I personally prefer a horse with more whoa than go, although I know most don't. It can get frustrating to always be on the ask. It comes with its own challenges. Basically catching it before the slow happens (as in everything horse). But you knew that.

Linda said...

I only ride in the winter if I absolutely have too, usually because it’s too cold or too icy or I’m too lazy to haul out to an arena. I did splurge on a mounting block when I got my knee done. I love it but now I want ones at certain gates to make it easier🤣

TeresaA said...

That’s a great first ride. I can’t mount without a mounting block. But that’s better for saddles and the horse’s back anyway.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Yeah for a good first ride!

Val Ewing said...

Nice! Sounds like my first ride with my Siera. She is basically very lazy except when she is riding solo away from home, then she has some get 'er up and go.