Tuesday, August 23, 2022

The good and the bad

 Bad news first- I got xrays on my ankle and apparently I have 2 broken bones; more fractures actually because there are no loose pieces and I should heal up eventually with no problems. Because of my age it will take a little longer. So that kind of puts the kibosh on any riding with stirrups for the next few months. 

And then we get to the good news, I saddled up Velvet yesterday. It has probably been at least 8 years since she has been saddled. 



Good news- she only fidgeted a little bit, I had Ted hold her while I saddled her. 

Good news- my little saddle fits her. 

Good news- she longed nicely both ways. 



Good girl Velvet! Bad news- I won't be able to ride her until my ankle heals. But I can get my round pen set up and work her from the ground and see how much she remembers. 

I'm pretty stoked to get to ride a horse I raised, even if I did sell her originally as a long yearling. I'm also really hoping she is carrying a Beamer foal, that will be a keeper. 

While everyone west of us is having a super hot summer, we have had wonderful weather (except for the first day we moved in here). We have dew every morning, and the spiders sure have been busy.


New webs every day!


This next one really caught my eye, it used a stalk of grass as an anchor. 


We are going to have a busy week fixing stuff here. I have some panels to relocate using the tractor (big heavy 2 inch pipe panels) , some fence boards to replace, and of course find a place to set up the round pen. 
We did have a fun day on Sunday, we got to see the professional Chuck Wagon races - same wagons that run at the Calgary Stampede- but I will save that for the next post!


10 comments:

threecollie said...

So sorry about your ankle! Hope it heals quickly. Awesome web shots! Very pretty.

thecrazysheeplady said...

Love that last web! Sorry about your ankle. Take care of it!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Oh no, hope your ankle heals fast. You never said how you hurt it? Wow those webs are so pretty!

Grey Horse Matters said...

Hope your ankle heals quickly and you get to ride Velvet. Those spider webs are amazing. It's incredible how they do all that building.

Shirley said...

Far Side- I was unloading stuff from my horse trailer into the barn; the grass here was long and wet and there was an old board hidden under it where I stepped out of the trailer. My foot slipped off the side of it and I heard a loud snap- like the sound when I broke my wrist years ago. I figured it was broken but I Had Stuff To Do and I had full range of motion on it so I ignored it.

Linda said...

Yikes, Shirley! That’s pretty bad. Rest up! We kind of need our bodies. There will be lots of time for the saddle next spring, and everything has a season and purpose. Maybe your grounding will be the perfect thing to nurture your relationship with Velvet. That is quite an honor to ride one you raised. Enjoy your recuperation. 😀

Leah said...

Shirley, I fractured my ankle last November in a very similar accident. Found fairly rapid healing by taking colostrum pills from the local natural health food store and using a PEMF loop like used on pets. Found mine at https://therapyproducts.net/product-category/pemf/. The bone healed well in 6 weeks. Did physiotherapy for 3 months after getting out of the walking boot to get strength and range of motion back. Just wanted to share what worked for me. Best wishes for good healing.

Shirley said...

Thanks Leah- Never heard of taking colostrum pills. I have been using my back on track ankle brace and wrapping at night with my BOT pad, sure helps. Also have comfrey salve that I use.

Ruth said...

Best of luck for your ankle. Hopefully it heals really well. You'll get to ride Velvet one day. :) Those are amazing spiders' webs too.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

sorry about your ankle!
I love your eye for photos, you make spider web photos into art!