Tuesday, July 9, 2024

Too hot to trot

 With this heat wave in place, I am wondering if it will change any of the equine events that are currently ongoing- example, the Calgary Stampede. I do have a bit of an issue with them for blocking the live feed of the Cowboy Channel (for Canadians only)for the duration of the Stampede- it blocks 24-7 not just during their broadcast. Which means that I can't watch any of the live coverage of rodeos or races even in the US until the Stampede is over- and they say right in their profile that they are a non profit organization and support the western lifestyle- but they granted Sportsnet the rights to broadcast. Why not also let the Cowboy Channel carry it? To me, it means they are hypocrites. Last time I looked, Sportsnet was not a supporter of the western lifestyle and are cashing in on carrying the Stampede- I would have to pay 20 bucks to get it as an app. Yeah... not happening. 

Anyway, rant over- I hope the Stampede reschedules their events to a cooler part of the day for the sake of the livestock and competitors. 

Meanwhile, back in Smaltownsville aka Benalto, which is 3 miles from us, I got to watch a pro rodeo the day before it got stupid hot. It was still plenty warm though. Here are three of my cell phone photos. 



The pickup man in that photo is Gary Remple, who has worked all the top rodeos including the NFR. He's one of the best. Nice to have him here! The bullfighters were outstanding too.


6 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

They have a pro Bullride and then a rodeo in town over the 4th of July. We have never gone. Years ago when I was an EMT I did rodeo on standby. ( Good seats)

TeresaA said...

It’s frustrating when they won’t broadcast. People who want to go will still go.
We actually have a rodeo coming this September to NS. I’m hoping Togo watch some of it.

Linda said...

You got some crazy good photos!

M said...

we get sportsnet with our channel line up free, but i rarely ever watch it. i only watched some of it during the hockey game and a small bit of stampede.

Val Ewing said...

Nice action shots with your cellphone!
I do wonder about the safety of the animals and everyone when it gets incredibly hot.

threecollie said...

Great photos! Sorry about the stampede business. When in Canada for our honeymoon we watched and much enjoyed it.