I have been busy- that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
The weanlings are slowly progressing from wild eyed range colts to allowing as how I might maybe touch them. At first they were in full flight mode, however I am utilizing my small barn to contain them when I work them. It has a small divider I can stand behind if I need to get out of the way, and the set up is that they can go in a circle around it. I have hay stored in the extra stalls in there so it is effectively like a mini round pen.
It has been a week today; I have been working with them twice a day.
I started with flag work, just touching them with it and using it to direct traffic, so to speak.
After a few days of that I progressed to tossing a rope around and over them. They actually weren't too bad about that and on the second session I was able to get the rope around the necks and get them started on giving to pressure. We are still a long way from being able to get a halter on them though.
Getting the rope off was more difficult than getting it on though! But we got it done.
There came a point when I wasn't making any progress so I changed things up. I am all about changing things when one method gets stale.
Once they discovered that I was the purveryor of oats, Gemma did a complete turn around. She let me touch her more often, and started approaching me in a friendly manner.
She is still reserved and cautious but really is starting to allow me into her space. Shiner, on the other hand, has become more reactive. Can you say, double swirl? He was the first to let me rub his quarters and his back but not much past that so far. That's ok though- I am on a time schedule with Gemma as she leaves for her new home on the 13th, and Shiner can stay longer. He might actually be easier when Gemma leaves.
I would have posted more photos and videos too, but my computer refuses to download the photos from my phone, so I have to email them to myself. The support for windows 10 is ending so that might have something to do with it. I will post more if I get things figured out!
I leave you with a spectacular sunset







8 comments:
Good work, Shirley. The little wildlings will be solid citizens when you’re done. Shiner will definitely come around when his security blanket is gone. 😂
They are so cute. This is wonderful work you’re doing.
Beautiful sunset! You are the right person to start from scratch with those youngins...fun stuff for you:)
I have no doubt you have been busy. Love their faces & work you are doing with these two. Wow, what a colorful sky!! Clouds make sunsets even more interesting.
amazing sunset😊
That sunset! :-o
The wild ones... and you are taming them and getting them used to you and human touch. That is so wonderful.
That sunset is wild.
I have learned so much about horses from you. Thanks
Post a Comment