Tuesday, November 5, 2024

Strays and snow

 Driving to town the other day we noticed that the neighbour's cattle, a mile down the road, were all gathered at the fenceline, and that their pasture was about gone. The next day, sure enough, there was a jailbreak. We ended up with cows in our yard, 3 the first day, and a couple more the next day.  



We don't mind having them come graze, but I could do without the cow pies they leave behind!

We got our first snowfall last night, so far about 3 inches.  When I checked on the mares, I could see that Gussie Was Not Impressed.  She has the most expressive nostrils and stink eye of any horse ever!


I'm sure they think I should open the barn door for them, but they do have a large shelter complete with a round bale in it for them to eat if they don't want to venture out in the pasture where there is plenty of grazing still. (Only slightly spoiled!)

Since I am feeling a lot better, I am waiting for a bit nicer weather as I want to start riding again. Nothing too demanding, just a few putts around the pasture. I hope the nice days aren't all gone! 

3 comments:

TeresaA said...

We had cattle in our yard for a week. It was annoying- so much crap everywhere! I hope yours are back home. We’ve had snow in the province but not here yet. I can wait!

M said...

im happy that you're on the mend! Gussie is best horse ever!❤️😊

Far Side of Fifty said...

:) oh Gussie good thing she is not a Minnesota horse...but we don't have snow yet. Hope you are feeling better Shirley!