I have to say, the least favorite of my winter chores is chipping the snowballs out of hooves.
The snow is that dry squeaky stuff that comes with the drop in temperatures to 30 below Celcius. We have very dry cold here, not like some areas near lakes that get more moisture and heavy wet snow. We can still clean the sidewalk with the leaf blower, bonus!
Snow blankets
The mares were on high alert again yesterday, sure enough they had spotted this cow moose. This photo is deceiving, as that fence is a good hundred yards from the moose, who is browsing across the river.
Velvet is good at sharing; Gussie eats faster and helps Velvet clean up
We get ice fog when the temperatures drop and it frosts up the horse's hair and eyelashes. I looked at the forecast for the month, and the cold is going to continue, albeit in the minus 20s instead of 30s. So much for the old wives tale of heavy precipitation 90 days after a fog, which due to the fogs in November should have given us a snowy February. I reckon we will get spring snow storms instead! Bah!






7 comments:
Oh my gosh, Shirley, I've missed reading your blog! Not quite sure when or why I slacked off, but I was so happy to log on today and see that you've continued posting.
I love seeing hoarfrost on the horses - it's so gorgeous, but, dang, it has to be cold to get any. We only get frosted horses a couple of times each winter, and I am not complaining :)
Hey Tel, glad to have you back! I sure miss the horse blogs, seems most of them dropped off in favor of FB.
Love those frosty lashes! Looks like you have more snow than we do! Stay warm!
Looks like a winter wonderland up there with your snow horses. Those are some COLD temperatures! We’re getting down to zero this week, and that’s cold enough for me! It’s nice that you have so much wildlife. I woke up at around 12 last night and my bed looks out over the pasture, which was really lit up by the moon, I guess, and I saw all my horses at the fence line looking at something. I couldn’t see what it was.
In our herd, it is Harmony that gets the snow balls. Cannot be comfortable walking on them. Love me some frosty lash photos!! I got them when I was up in Alaska, I have a photo of frosty me somewhere. Stay warm!
I woke up one morning and it looked like all my gals had high heels on. Pounding hooves. Not fun.
I never realized that a barefoot horse could get snowballs!
Post a Comment