Or, who needs watchdogs when you have mares?
The mares have been really watchy lately. I try to see why, but they have better senses than I do.
Velvet in particular is very aware of her surroundings. The watchiness is usually mornings and evenings (I can see their pasture from the house) so I was figuring wildlife of some sort.
Then Ted figured it out when he spotted this:
Gussie is 15.2 hh, and she is closer than that bull moose, so you can figure just how huge he is!
There were 4 moose, browsing on the shrubs across the river. To their credit, the mares didn't get crazy, just ran to a spot where they could get a good look at them.
Along with the moose, we got a spectacular sunset (view from the house) and were able to watch as the moose (meese?) chowed their way along the riverbank, until it got too dark to see them. What a treat!
If I see them again, I will try for photos from my Nikon with the zoom lens, if my computer will cooperate in downloading that is.
6 comments:
Ohhh!!! What a spectacular sight! I love watching animals in nature and yes, horses are masters at alerting us to them.
Thanks for sharing your views! Our skies have also been colorfully amazing here lately, am & pm. Surround sky color is so fleeting, love watching the change~arama.
What pretty sky! I figured it would be deer...but Moose...wow that is a treat!
Sunsets/ sunrises change so quickly, naybe that is ehy they are so special.
How lovely to have moose there.
Moose on the loose! Actually horses are so good at spotting anything out of the ordinary.
Those colorful skies are so beautiful!
Gorgeous! And horses do make great watchers. Mine alert to things all the time, but it’s usually something the neighbors are doing. They’re like the neighborhood gossips.
Post a Comment