Saturday, January 25, 2025

Catspotting (or what you do when you are bored)

 It has been pretty quiet around here for a while, I guess you could say the February blahs hit a week early. There isn't much to do to fill the days since I simplified my chores; no more firing up the tractor to move big round bales or struggle with tarps covering them; the little square bales are neatly and conveniently tucked into the barn and the shelter. 

The breakfast crew



Yes, those bales.... stacked to the top in the little barn where I was halter breaking Shayla's foals, and the cats are loving them. 
Mornings and evenings I get outside to do chores; sometimes with 70 km winds and sometimes with balmy above freezing lovely days, never know what you're going to get this winter. 
The barn cats are apparently thriving, despite the cold. 

Ollie, when it was stupid cold... 

and Ollie 2  days later in the balmy sunshine. 

Misty this morning. Cement blocks are not going to keep your toes warm!



Tom, who has stopped being afraid of me since he approves my breakfast service every morning.  He used to hide when he saw me, now he comes to see what's on the menu. 

These are hardy cats, they have the loft of the barn for their personal space, it is fairly deeply bedded in straw just for them; its where Misty's kittens were born. 
Speaking of those kittens, they are all doing great and thoroughly enjoying the royal treatment in their palaces, while their parents are living the pioneer life. 

Lily and Tiger, who live with my sister on the west coast of BC
Better than the haystack?

Much warmer than the frozen pallet!

Lily looks so much like her mama Misty



Lily and Tiger, umm, whose bed is that?

Their sibling Cece who lives with my sister M and has the company of 3 other cats, also is living the good life. 

Plenty of cushy couch to lay on!


The classic pose!
I have been asked if I will neuter the feral cats, the answer is no. It is a huge expense for someone on pension, for one thing, and for another, there are many predators around here that cull the cat population. So far, we have lost the black mama cat, Ringo,  Bandit, Badger and Smudge as well as a couple of other unnamed ones that were here 2 years ago. So I am letting nature take its course. I am just grateful that there are cats here to keep the mouse population down in my haystacks; and I have never seen a mouse in my feed room. 
As far as my personal cats go, Foose is turning 16 in April. 


 and Thumper will be 15 this coming summer. I keep them close, indoors at night and  in bad weather as well as if we will be away from home. 


Thumper does like to patrol the barnyard and make sure the ferals are behaving, he gets along well with them, after having put Tom in his place a couple of times. Cat drama!

All is well, and harmonious, just the way I like it. 


10 comments:

M said...

ah yes, the lazy life of a house cat! barn cats are so cute as all kitties are! 😊❤️

M said...

i meant my lazy cats 😁

4RRanch said...

You have a very photogenic group of cats.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Good to see Foose and Thumper ! Your barn cats are looking good, very fluffy! AND those kittens...have a great life...they moved on up!

threecollie said...

You have a lovely set of kitties!

Val Ewing said...

We do have visiting cats, my neighbor owns one of them and feeds them. They hunt in my shed and do a great job.
I often see them out on our driveway enjoying sunshine on a cold day.
I enjoyed seeing all the cat photos. Thank you.

Shirley said...

What does Charlie think of the cats?

Linda said...

That’s awesome! They all look great. It sure makes me wonder why some cats can live such long lives outdoors and others can’t. We are down to one in the barn, and he is 13 1/2. Are they just smarter?

We have two who are strictly indoor cats, and it’s only because when they were indoor outdoor they had a turf war with Tuffy for the barn. I didn’t think it was fair to Tuffy, so they have been locked in.

Of the two lives, I think Tuffy has it better in the barn, living free, but it is definitely more dangerous.

lytha said...

You live my dream, having several cats in the country. I live in the country, corn fields all around me, but there is the one road that cars drive through and we lost our beloved cat in a tragic accident with a car and it was not a quick death, she died slowly until we could finally get her to a vet who would end her suffering. It all happened in front of me. I will never have a cat again unless I can promise do car will run it over. A quick death is one thing. I'll never forget her face as she waited to die.

Shirley said...

That is very sad.