Monday, April 14, 2025

What's up

 When I brought the mares in a few days ago, i coukd see that Gussie was favouring her left hind a bit. There was some puffiness right in the ankle joint but no heat. I checked her hoof for any signs of puncture or abscess, no visible issues there. So I put the Streamz bands on her to see if that could help. Next day the puffiness was gone and she didn't seem sore, but this was happening :


It looks like what the stifle joint does when a horse has string halt.  Her vet appointment is in 9 days so I am hoping that he can help me understand what is going on. Either way, it looks like her riding days are over, so she will retire to being a mom for a couple of years. 

In other news, Shayla is taking over Dallas for her mare herd, so I found another mare to check out locally. I like her bloodlines and so I went to see her. 

She is a big mare, around Gussie size or a bit shorter

Her owner is an elderly rancher who raised her, but at 10 years old, she has slipped through the cracks. I like her build, and the fact that she was standing tied- although he said she is hard to catch, that doesn't really bother me. 

She reminds me of Jayne, but totally different pedigree

Her feet are in horrible shape, I think they have never been done and have just been allowed to wear off in pasture. The rancher said he will get his daughter to work on her getting better to handle her feet.


I handled her a bit, she was very light on the halter, never tried to pull against it either tied up or in hand, although I could see she was a bit worried about what all this attention was about after 10 years of being on her own. Overall, I think she will be a nice mare, and I may go into a breeding lease on her- pending the results of her DNA disease panel test. I pulled hair on her and sent it to Animal Genetics, so once I have that info it will determine whether or not I go ahead with taking her on. The rancher is thinking he may have made a mistake in not starting her under saddle when she was a younger horse! Her pedigree is a mixture of run and cow, so if I do go ahead with her, she should cross well on Shayla's stallion. 

10 comments:

aurora said...

Sorry to hear about your Gussie girl. I completely forgot about the Streamz bands. I will order some to try on Koda.

It will be interesting to read more about the prospective mare. She sounds like a bit of a project and would benefit from your knowledgable handling and care.

M said...

Gussie is a great mare. her foals are always amazing.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Poor Gussie, I hope your vet has some insight for you. The prospective mare looks a tad wide eyed:)

TeresaA said...

I’m so sorry about Gussie! You must be disappointed.

Shirley said...

Yes she was a bit worried!

Shirley said...

I sure am. I will see what rhe vet says about her.

Shirley said...

I hope the bands can help Koda

M said...

the prospective mare has alot of muscle mass. thats good that she's strong.

Linda said...

Horses are always finding a way to go lame! I’m sure she won’t mind being a retired mama. Can’t wait to find out more about your new mare prospect. I started Leah at 9, and she did great. It’s never too late. But she had all the basics done and even some minimum saddle work.

Shirley said...

This mare has never had much done except halter breaking and learning to stand tied, last year.