Winter is closing in on us, inexorable juggernaut that it is. Every morning as I head to the barn for chores, the wind has an icy bite to it. The mares stand with their tails to the wind, hopeful eyes checking to see if they get to share the barn with the kittens ( they don't) as I prepare their ration.
The farrier was here yesterday, and they were both good for him. I asked him to not put Velvet's leg between his knees when he trimmed, as I am sure that was what was upsetting her - being so short, the angle was just too much for her at her age, and so he just propped her foot on his knee to trim and she was much happier with that arrangement.
From top to bottom:
Timber (Timbits)
Minou
Matilda
They are starting to wait at their food dishes for me instead of scattering when I come in the barn. Minou is still fearful, she freaked out when I picked her up and it took her 3 days to figure out that I wasn't trying to kill her and is starting to come around again; the other two are quite content to be petted and played with.
Thumper has old cat privileges, he now gets to spend 90 % of his time sleeping on the loveseat, and in the heated garage at night.





7 comments:
What cute kittens! Thumper has a good life. I hope you get all the physical stuff straightened out Shirley I know you like to ride.
Aww, cute kitties! I didn't know there was a new litter. Hope they find good homes. I am loving the Thumper cuddle pics. He sure looks comfy!
Great glowing crown pic of the queen!
I feel your pain...hope you get healed up enough to get your ride fix in.
Your barn kittens are adorable, and so is that Thumper. I remember him from my days going up to your place and he hasn’t changed. I’m glad he’s enjoying an easy life. It has been rainy here, but not too cold. Temps are in the 50’s. We actually have some beautiful days coming next week, if you can trust the forecast. Hope you feel good enough soon to get a ride in!
I do love that old Thumper. The kitties are adorable, but I have a soft spot for old barn cats.
Matilda! My husband was talking about his new 5th graders at his high school and there is a Matilda. He says she hates her name. I asked how she knows and he said, "Everytime she says her name, she kind of rolls her eyes and sighs." LOL I think it's funny, I guess it's an old fashioned name here in Germany. Like my own name which rhymes with death. Anyway I have a question about Quarter Horses, after I've been following Promised Land Ranch in NE Washington state. Mostly roans. Do the majority of roan Quarter Horses go dark over winter? Like their base coat (base? top?) comes through with the Winter coat. I recently learned that there are Icelandic horses called "Color changers" that are highly valued in Iceland. I figured out they're just roans that are dark in Winter. I'm fascinated by roans.
I follow Promised Land Ranch too.
In winter, the base coat on roans seems to come in stronger than the white hairs. Gussie gets redder in winter, however when it is spring and they start shedding, the white hairs seem to shed first and they seem to look more white before getting into their summer color. Velvet is a minimal roan, and her color stays consistent all year.
That's funny about the little girl, I too have one of those very old fashioned names, I have yet to find someone under the age of 50 with the same name.
I must admit I love roans. They're the siamese cats of the horse world with their dark faces/points.
Post a Comment