I registered Peppy online a couple of days ago, and yes, we did get the name I wanted. I waited this long because I wanted to make sure his blue roan colour was undisputable. As you can see from this photo, he only has a little bit of baby fuzz left- this was taken 4 days ago, and he has even less now. I did a preliminary measure on his legs, and it looks like he will mature a 15 hands, or maybe a little over that. I do this by measuring the length from the hairline on a front leg to the top of the bone which sits on the cannon bone- commonly called the break in the knee.You can feel the indent there between that bone and the one above it, these are called the small bones of the knee; anyway measure to that spot between the small bones of the knee and whatever you get in inches is what they will be in hands. Ideally you should wait til they are about 5 months old to get a true measurement. Peppy measures just over 15 inches there so he will mature at just over 15 hands. Gussie measures just under 15 and a half inches and she stands just under 15 .2 hands. Try it on your horses just for fun! So if your horse measures 14 and 1/4 inches, it should stand 14.1 hands; or 14 and 1/2 inches will be 14.2 hands; 14 and 3/4 inches would be 14.3 hands etc.Thursday, July 17, 2008
Choctaw Peppy
I registered Peppy online a couple of days ago, and yes, we did get the name I wanted. I waited this long because I wanted to make sure his blue roan colour was undisputable. As you can see from this photo, he only has a little bit of baby fuzz left- this was taken 4 days ago, and he has even less now. I did a preliminary measure on his legs, and it looks like he will mature a 15 hands, or maybe a little over that. I do this by measuring the length from the hairline on a front leg to the top of the bone which sits on the cannon bone- commonly called the break in the knee.You can feel the indent there between that bone and the one above it, these are called the small bones of the knee; anyway measure to that spot between the small bones of the knee and whatever you get in inches is what they will be in hands. Ideally you should wait til they are about 5 months old to get a true measurement. Peppy measures just over 15 inches there so he will mature at just over 15 hands. Gussie measures just under 15 and a half inches and she stands just under 15 .2 hands. Try it on your horses just for fun! So if your horse measures 14 and 1/4 inches, it should stand 14.1 hands; or 14 and 1/2 inches will be 14.2 hands; 14 and 3/4 inches would be 14.3 hands etc.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Glad you got the name you wanted!
What a great color! All that baby fuzz is almost gone! He is growing up so fast!!!
Wow! I learned something new today :)
Good idewa waiting to be sure on the color before registering.
I'm glad that you were able to get the name you wanted, too :)
Post a Comment