Friday, October 28, 2011

Sammi on sheep

First of all, a big thank you to my sister for taking me to the Terri Clark show- she was fabulous, love her sense of humor. Here's a You Tube link to her song Northern Girl; the video was shot in Cranbrook and Kimberley- just down the road from where Janice lives.
 This mountain, Fisher Peak, is in the video, and is the view from Janice's yard.
Speaking of Janice, she and I took our dogs and spent a wonderful afternoon at Penny's. She gave us a training exercise to do on leash, and then we headed for the sheep pasture. She took Quill, to control the sheep,
Quill splitting the sheep

Quill bringing one back

 and then worked with Sammi. This was the first time Sammi has been worked on livestock; she was very keen to work, and a little wild at first, kind of like a kid turned loose in a candy store.

Penny worked with her until she showed some improvement, her tail came down and she was able to get a bit of balance, then we parked her and she worked Quill for a bit. Then it was Kali's turn, and you'll have to visit Janice for that story.

Meanwhile, Sammi was just beside herself watching the other dogs work.

Penny gave her another turn at the sheep, and all the excitement made her even more keen, and she really started to work. The tail came down, Penny was able to flank her a little, and even got the start of balance.
I was impressed with Sammi, and I'm really looking forward to next week- I'm leaving her with Penny for a week's assessment and will pick her up on Friday- unless she sells before then.
Tail down and working
Here's a parting shot of the awesome view, and the tail end of a great afternoon.

13 comments:

cheyenne jones said...

Eh??????????

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Couldn't see the video , but it sounds like she will be a really good dog. Like the look of things in the last shot .I see it must be fall , the trolls are crawling again!

Janice said...

You got some great shots.....love love love the one of Quill dog handling that sheep wahoo Q. Uhm what's with that first comment, I'll bet any woman that creeps been with has decided to pitch for the other side.A huge Yuk!!!

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

I am so fascinated by how dogs get trained to work. I have no knack for it at all.

LOVE that last photo!

Shirley said...

OK, I deleted the spam comment. For those of you who are puzzled, it's the "boycott american women" spam that made it's rounds a few months ago. Hope I don't have to put word verification back on.

Linda said...

I didn't see the spam comment. Love the pics though--very cool of Quill and the sheep--the mountains are gorgeous.

Mikey said...

Just love love love that last pic. Gorgeous!

John and Regina Zdravich said...

Wow! really impressive how the dog can control the sheep. also, love the photography -- you are blessed to be in such a beautiful place.

Jake said...

Terri Clark is one of my favorite woman artist's. Your lucky to get to see her. I bet it was a great show. Great looking dog.

Linda said...

Sounds like a fun time! I love that last shot......framable!!

Jenn Williams said...

Sammi will love it!!! Looks great and really interesting! Cant wait to see a end result!

Anonymous said...

Terri Clark played our county fair a year ago, she's pretty dang neat!
Sammi looked to be havin fun.....

gtyyup said...

How exciting!!! Sammi did great...much more than I can say for Bella Jo. That last shot is definitely framable!