Friday, November 18, 2011

B.C.- or Alberta???

One of the things I don't miss about Alberta is the winter wind and blowing snow. Well, today, it felt just like Alberta- howling wind, drifting snow, but the good thing- it wasn't anywhere near as cold; only -2C  (28*F) But it sure looked like Alberta- no offence to my Alberta buddies!
Now you see 'em (just barely; 1 PM)

Now you don't (3 PM)
The wind is out of the NE, and all the horses are huddled behind the windbreak of Beamer's new shelter.
This is the area of Rio's former pen that I opened up to put the water tank in for the winter; it had to be in reach of a hose, and an electrical outlet to plug in the tank heater.
This photo shows how creative I had to be; the plastic pipe tied to the panel contains the electrical cord for the heater, effective in keeping inquisitive horse teeth from chewing it in half, thereby electrocuting themselves (even though it is covered with metal conduit!) The extension cord goes to a snap on top of the divider wall, so Beamer can't reach it, also I angled the panel so Beamer and the mares can't reach each other. It's far from an ideal set-up, but when you don't own the place, you have to make do with what you have to work with, and try to keep things as safe as possible. I'll take safety over pretty any day.
Speaking of pretty, at long last I have birds at my feeder! This pair ( I think they are Audubon Warblers) have been happily munching away for over a week now; I hope they stay, and tell all their feathered buddies about the free dinner.

7 comments:

Michele said...

Brrrrrr! to cold for me!we got a fair dusting here in moody of snow. but, fortunately, its going away. poeple were driving slow. that's good. safety first!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

looks pretty snappy! I can deal with the cold but wind, defeats me !

Mikey said...

That looks like a nasty storm. Glad to see all the horses pretty happy there though. Beamer looks like he wants to be with the rest of the gang.

WendyFromNY said...

Hi! I'm from New York State and I have to say, your birds sure look like what we call Goldfinches. The picture is kind of dark....the males lose their brilliant yellow plumage after breeding season is over, and become kind of drab, like these two appear. Just saying...I've never said anything here before, have to say, your horses are bee-you-ti-ful! You should be proud! Wendy ;)

Shirley said...

Thanks Wendy! They do look like finches, but they have black beaks, and thinner than the goldfinch beak. They are more yellow than the photo shows, it was really poor light.

cheyenne jones said...

Snow?????..........Fantastic!

Janice said...

It's ugly here too. Thankfully no wind though.-13C - 10F You know before we got celsius and were conditioned to think temps like -13 is cold I would have been quite happy to go out and do chores at 10 F and think it was pretty nice now.....not so much.