Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The Wonder Year Begins

Tuesday afternoon, I brought Beamer in with the plan of saddling him up, and ponying Rio, since the two boys get along so well. However, the best laid plans- you guessed it- Murphy stepped in. There oughta be a law against Murphy. Rio didn't come up to me in the pasture like he usually does, and when I got to him I could see why. He had a nasty gash right below his hock, and it had obviously just happened:
The only culprit I could find when I walked the pasture was a large nailhead that I had overlooked; the kind where when you can't get the nail in all the way you bend the nail up. Either that, or he managed to get his leg in the barbwire somehow (have I ever mentioned how much I hate barbwire?) The wound has a deep puncture type centre and ripped skin above the puncture. I washed it out, and put Schreiners on it and wrapped it, but had to take the wrap off about three hours later as there was some swelling. However, by then the bleeding had stopped. Rio proved that he is very much his father's son; he was really wussy about putting weight on that leg, even when I put his feed out he wasn't sure he could walk the three steps to the pail! I also went and got him a tetanus shot, and my friend Terri came and held him for me, as this was his very first shot- but he was a very good boy and didn't even flinch. He is much better today, but I'm giving him stall rest for a few days until the swelling goes away. If you check out the link to Schreiners, be sure to read the testimonials.

After all that drama, I did manage to get in a ride on Beamer- it was fun, and we galloped straight at the setting sun, as it disappeared behind the mountain.

The weather has turned colder and there is 4 inches of snow in the forecast, but I bet it doesn't hit that hard here. I leave you with the last pansy, still bravely blooming as of yesterday.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor baby horse - that looks nasty! Hope it heals up quickly and well so he can be back to his antics.

Emme said...

How do they always find those nails? Hope he heals fast

Crystal said...

Horses, always looking for someplace to hurt themselves.

Sure like that Schriners, works well, thats what I used on Baileys neck when she cut it before our trail ride.

Such a pretty pansy, would me nice to see some flowers when evertything here is dead.

Mary said...

Dang it Rio! It's hard to see an injury on that beutiful boy. I hope it heals without an issue. It's good you were able to treat it early. I am so jealous of that ride into the setting sun, sounds wonderful!

(I've been out of the loop here for while, I am slowly catching up)

John and Regina Zdravich said...

Our Vet's Assistant swears they can cut themselves on air sometimes....glad it is not too serious. By the way, love the flower!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

I like Schreiners , I find it works very well, between it and a couple other favorite products we don't often see a scar around here. Sorry the little fella got cut , they do seem to have a knack for it

lisa said...

Poor Beamer! It doesn't seem to take much for them to get hurt that is for sure!

Shirley said...

Lisa- that's Rio, not Beamer. He has officially entered the wonder year- as in I wonder if he'll survive! Yearlings tend to get in a lot of wrecks, and although he isn't a yearling yet, he is getting an early start on the wrecks!

gtyyup said...

Bummer...Good thing you caught in a timely manner. I've got some of the Shreiners and have used it some. It's so hard to keep them safe...even with best laid plans.

cheyenne jones said...

Looks a bad gash! Hope all goes well.

Anonymous said...

If they can, they will! I swear, you could wrap in bubble wrap, put 'em in a padded stall and they'd STILL find a way to break themselves.

Last weekend Gabe (who is in an acre paddock) rolled right next to the fence, hooked a hind leg under it and ripped most of it down, and of course, it gets better....he not only hooked a leg into the fence, but he picked one of the ONLY corners left on the entire farm that still has an H corner post, yeah, he also took out the center beam of the H. No major gashes, but seriously sore and swollen on both hinds. Ugh. thank goodness for electric rope fencing that's on plastic insulators that will pop off with excess pressure.

Jenn said...

That last one was me...I was logged in to my work email account stead of the personal one. :D

IanH said...

It just goes to show that Murphy was really an optimist! Hope the swelling goes down.

Just Ramblin' said...

Oh my word that looks terrible! Poor boy. : ( I hope it heals fast.

Linda said...

Poor Rio! He's too cute to have a gnarly injury like that. I hope he gets better VERY soon.

thecrazysheeplady said...

I love the vision of you and Beamer galloping into the setting sun :-).

How do those kids get themselves into these messes...

Margaret said...

Ah... found it! My trainer's horse had a nasty nasty gash on his leg... who knows how it got there. Maybe laying down and a sharp twig pointed just right gouged it's way all the way to the bone. After an emergency trip to VA and back, and a few weeks with a "cast" on Indigo as healthy and fine (there is a video on my blog December 2 and you can see he is fine). But if it isn't one thing it is another with horses...