Sunday, October 20, 2013

Saturday's ride

I got to help sort the calves for weaning yesterday, this was a small bunch and with Beamer's help it only took a few minutes. The cows and calves are very easy to handle, a nice bunch of Herefords.

The bull took his chance to sneak a snack
The calves settled in and are providing us with moosic for the next week; they are doing fenceline weaning this year, so the calves can see their mamas but not nurse. Much less stress that way, it's the method I used most for weaning foals.

Since that only took a few minutes, I headed down the road on Beamer and found some local wildlife....

Well, not technically life! This sculpture adorns the driveway of my neighbour who is a sculptor. 
But we did find something- a Red Headed Woodpecker, who was busy searching for food and didn't mind us standing quietly watching him. Beamer was a good boy and stood nicely while I took photos.


So today- my plan is to ride Rio; it will be the first ride on him for me and I'm really looking forward to it! I'm going to have to find a mounting block though, he is so tall. 
There's that tongue- after he drinks he does this for a while, it's very cute.

8 comments:

Dreaming said...

It makes me sad to hear the 'moosic' But how luck that they can at least see each other.
Love the sculpture - it looks so out of place in the middle of nowhere!
The woodpecker looks like a Pileated Woodpecker. We used to enjoy them in SC. They look like some sort of primitive beast!

CDH said...

The mama moosic will be here on Wednesday! Then they get violated on Thursday, then up the creek they go.
Good luck on Rio. He is a fancy boy!
Love the Herefords. And ol spot face bull. We have a spot face bull - Patches. :)

Shirley said...

This bull's name is Comet. He is a good bull, you can walk or ride through his herd and he leaves you alone.

Montanagirl said...

Nice post! That sculpture is really amazing. And I like your Pileated Woodpecker shots.

aurora said...

What a fun ride! I've only seen a pileated woodpecker once at my feeders, many years ago before the rash of developments. They are big, and prehistoric-ish.

I absolutely love those bears! Does your neighbor have a website? Not that I could afford a sculpture, I just enjoy reading and learning about artists.

lisa said...

Pileated Woodpecker, awesome picture, we are hard put to be able to get pictures of them, they are really secretive and don't stick around when they see you!

Anonymous said...

Pie sucks his tongue just like that every time he drinks - it's almost like he's nursing - very cute in a great big horse. Looking forward to hearing how your ride on Rio goes.

Ed said...

Great shots of the woodpecker, my mom would love that sculpture in her yard..:-)