Oh look, he has a tree growing out of his head!
Timing is everything when taking photos.....
Anyway, I worked on shoulder yields, hip yields, side pass, backing and using the mecate as reins to remind him about moving his front quarters over with a neck rein.
He is looking pretty chunky right now!
I took him over to where I have a few timbers set up on the lawn, and worked on him sidepassing over the timbers. I set it up so that when I raise the stick, he stops, when I lower it he steps forward. when I lay it along his side, he side passes. Once he got it, he was a rock star! It reminded me again why I love this horse.... even if he is a gelding...
One of the other things that has changed is that it looks like Shayla won't be able to take horses in for training until next year, they are keeping her pretty busy at her new job, so Kai and I will have to learn from each other this winter. I'm sure we will do just fine! I hope to introduce him to team sorting at some point, he already likes cows, being pastured right next to them so it will just be getting him used to them in a different setting- and getting him broke enough that he will pay attention under pressure.
7 comments:
He's so shiny! Our poor ponies look like orphans. With their shaggy winter coats!
I love working cows....and a good cow horse is such a pleasure to work with. I had a little Arab mare that I got as a baby, taught her how to work cows...she was awesome! Yeah people laughed at me....an Arab? And a mare? But when they saw her work, the took back their words! Lol!
Have fun working with Kai, he is a beauty!
Cheri
Horses love working cows- gives 'em something to boss around!
Nice looking guy! and great that he's remembering his learning so well and is so responsive. Bet you're going to have lots of fun with him . . .
He's doing well, and looking great!
You are lucky to have somewhere to take him, so you can work with him. I am hoping to just put some lights on my corral so that I can work with Sirocco after the sun goes down, if I want. You are doing such a great job, Kai, is looking wonderful!
Sounds good, too bad Shayla cant work with him, but I think you do a fine job yourself so it will be fine
You're not going to have any trouble at all with Kai over the winter. He had a darn good start and hopefully things will slow down by spring and I will be able to help you out with him!!! But, in reality you're more than capable of brining him on!
Post a Comment