Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Overcoming inertia

Aurora did a post the other day called "Out of my comfort zone" which got me reflecting on my current state of mind in regards to horses. I guess with age comes wisdom, but it also can be interpreted as caution.
I find that I am reluctant to trust in my abilities as I grow older; I am definitely less reckless and nowhere near as brave as I used to be.  I recall saddling up the young horses and heading out, alone through the bush, or along trails, or tackling swift rivers and streams; things I just wouldn't do now.
Just getting up the courage to climb on a green horse is an accomplishment now, where before I wouldn't have given it a second thought.
Today, it was time to face my trepidation. I have been making excuses not to ride; the ground is slippery, or frozen, or muddy; I have nobody to ride with; I don't want to pay arena fees each time I ride. All valid excuses. Today, I went with one of my old mottos: just do it.
I brought Kai out, saddled him up and did a very short session of moving his feet before I stepped up on him- just enough to know that he was paying attention and not tense. I figure Kai has about 20 rides on him now, most of them short rides. Definitely a long way from being a broke horse. I kept the ride short, as it wasn't about teaching Kai but it was about discovering where I was at.

I made a pleasing discovery. Once I hit the saddle, my worries disappear. It all becomes about the horse, and discovering where he is at in that moment. About what he and I can do to connect. Working on figuring him out helps me to find where my talents - and limitations- are.
I know that I am careful to stay safe now and I make it work. The big thing I do differently now as compared to my youth is that I listen to my horse more instead of just riding according to my own program.
Here's what Kai told me today: He has opinions. He doesn't like fussy stuff. Once he gets something he doesn't want to be picked on about it. And he really wants to just get out and cover some ground, go places and see things. He's not an arena horse. (Yet!)
He kinda reminds me of me in my younger days......
It was a short, 15 minute session, but it taught me lots.

7 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

If I rode like I did in my teens and early twenties I would be in the hospital! You are not alone! I think that it is great that you ride now, and being careful is a good thing. You are a good horsewoman and going with your instincts and knowledge is a good thing too:)

Anonymous said...

Caution isn't a bad thing at all. We don't bounce like we used to, and our reflexes aren't as good. But we still love to be with our horses and ride as safely as we can.

Nice pictures, and glad Kai had some things to tell you.

aurora said...

Thanks for the shout out Shirley, so glad the gist of my post resonated with you!! As you know it's not about tossing caution to the wind, it's about not being complacent - and the rewarding feeling that follows. Caution (aka fear) is our natural instinct to stay safe, absolutely a good thing. It keeps us alive. It can also stop us from living and experiencing new things that could make us happy. One clearly should still be safe and not reckless, but we can feel fulfillment - at any age. Creative minds in particular thrive off it. It may not be racing through the woods like we did as kids, it's found wherever we are in the present. I responded in my comments, that I think the key is to have a safety net. Different type of net, for different people/horses/situations. Wonderful discovery (s) you made!!

CDH said...

What a great post...I am so with you of this one! Lol!
When I was younger it was get on, saddle or not and balls to the wall? Didn't matter...
Gravity isn't what it was 15 years ago! Lol! I don't bounce like I did....
Cheri

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Awesome, I must go read Aurora's post! I am far more cautious than I used to be, I agree it seems age and wisdom play a part and plain old feeling slower and more cautious, once you are in the saddle the "muscle memory seems to kick in and it goes way better.better. Kai sounds like he is a great little horse, lots to learn maybe but you can teach him

thecrazysheeplady said...

I completely understand!

Crystal said...

I too am less reckless, more cautious. And while I think it has something to do with age I also think I been spoiled by a good horse I dont wanna go back and ride anything other than the good ones anymore. And sad to say even some of my other horses dont fit in that category.
Glad you had a good ride he sounds like hes a perfect horse for you right now.