Monday, May 18, 2015

Parting ways


Delia is up for sale. The reason for her sale is , well, because we parted ways, literally.
I went to ride her on Saturday, did my usual pre-ride checks, like leading her to and around any new items in the yard, sent her out a couple of times around on the line, but when it was time to mount she wouldn't stand still, so I worked her a little more until she relaxed and was licking and chewing, then she did stand still for mounting. I stepped her forward to do a little bit of circling before heading out, and she humped her hind end up... so I brought her nose around, took her hip out of gear, and asked again. Once more, up with the hind end, and same treatment from me. At that point, I should have stepped off and made her work her butt off until she had absolutely no doubt that yes, she did have to work today. But what I did was ask her to step forward.....
 Next thing I knew, it felt like I was on the receiving end of a stick of dynamite. Her head went between her knees, I couldn't pull it up, and she went rodeo on me. I think I lasted 2 jumps.... I hit the ground hard on my right side, and my head bounced off the ground at least twice- thank God I was wearing my helmet- I had the get down rope tucked into my belt, so she didn't go anywhere, but my brains were so scrambled I couldn't focus and could hardly coordinate my limbs to move if I had to get out of the way, fortunately she just stood still. I managed to call for Ted to help me get up.
My overwhelming feeling is disappointment. I was really enjoying this mare, but now I will never get on her again. I can't trust that this won't happen again, as she had no reason that I can find- nothing to be afraid of, and nothing causing her enough pain to do that- I had ridden her out down the road and through the fields a few days ago and she came through that just fine. I think she was just crabby that I wasn't turning her out to pasture.
No, I didn't cowgirl up and get back on- I'm too old for that. In my younger days, I would have made her work so hard she would beg me to get back on and ride, but I just don't need that crap anymore. So I put her away, looked at her and told her we were done.
She does have 2 nice colts that have nice dispositions, so she has potential to continue to be a brood mare. There might be some cowboy out there that is willing to ride the buck out of her, but it isn't me.
I'm sure there is a nice mare out there that will be a better match for me. Meanwhile, I have a cracked rib, and an awful lot of sore muscles and still feel a bit woozy, but no concussion.


It's a cryin' shame.

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, so sorry to hear that - hope you heal up well and quickly, and that she finds another more suitable home.

T.L. Merrybard said...

I'm so sorry! I really hoped she'd be your girl for a long time.

My last riding mare did the very same thing to me six months into ownership. Looking back, I think it was a change of hay supplier, but her reaction was OTT in a big way and she put me into orbit. I did get back on, and I persisted with her for another year, but I never felt the same way about her after that. She didn't dump me again but we had enough incidents that I knew it wasn't a one off event. I should have done what you are doing. My girl was one hell of a powerful horse and at my age it just wasn't fun any more to be riding her and wondering when the next unpredictable thing would trigger another OTT reaction.

Good luck finding that perfect mare to replace her! I'm sure she's out there! As they say, it costs as much to keep a good horse as a bad one, so why not have the good one?

T.L. Merrybard said...

Which is not to say she's a bad horse, but that she's not right for you for this stage in your life. :)

Sherry Sikstrom said...

OUCH!!! I am glad you were not hurt worse! Too bad I thought it was going to be a great fit. But no need to fight that fight, there is a good horse for you out there !

Unknown said...

Oh ow. Glad you are okay.

Shirley said...

I'm pretty sure the reason she bucked was just because she was pissy about having to be rode. Spoiled! Never had to really work before I owned her.

Jen said...

I've noticed that the ground not only gets further away each year, it also gets considerably harder (and I'm pretty sure that over the years my "bounceability" has declined significantly as well ;o)

Hope you are better soon!

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

Ouch!! I'm sorry to hear this.

CDH said...

Oh dear! And you all were coming along nicely.
I have a hat that says, are you gonna cowgirl up, or lay there and bleed? Lol! Yea, I'll lay here and bleed thank you.
Thank goodness you had a helmet on.
Now heal up! :)
Cheri

Far Side of Fifty said...

Crap, I am sorry she didn't work out. I always found Mares so cranky sometimes. Never can tell what is up with them.
The right horse is out there...it might be Josie:)

cdncowgirl said...

Oh man :(
I don't think it's so much a mare thing but more of an older horse that's never really had to work much before. Regardless I know you must be disappointed.

Shirley said...

I don't think it's a mare thing either- just that she never had to work before and decided that being a pasture ornament is preferable. Sorry, girl, that doesn't work in the real world. No welfare cases on this farm!

Anonymous said...

Get better soon.

lisa said...

Oh Shirley, I am so glad you are alright. I sure don't blame you for putting her up for sale. My gelding is going back to the trainers this summer,he is not going to charge me, because he is going to use him for shows this year and also gives him more saddle time. Hopefully by next year I will be able to ride him with no issues. I hope you can find that super horse later! Stay safe and hope you get better soon.

Linda said...

Glad you're okay!!!!! I'm sad to read this, but fully understand why you'd move on. There are a lot of great, smart, safe, horses out there and it's not worth getting hurt or killed for one that's not right. I've heard that older brood mares are hard to train, and I've always wondered if it's because of the extent to which they get herd bound. I'm interested in what you think about that after now having worked with her. Or, do you think it's just her?

Shirley said...

Linda, she was fairly easy to train, but thinks she is entitled not to work after 10 years of not working- at least, that's how I read it. She was fine until I put a bit of pressure on- basically, I told her NO and she said SCREW YOU THEN! I had the kids riding her last month, just plodding around, and I did some easy rides on her, had her away from the farm a few times. She was looky, but did as she was bid.
I think it's just her personality. Basically lazy, which I found out right at the start.

Anonymous said...

I guess that puts your saddle on hold. I like the ones you have. Wonder if it will fit my ample frame when I decide to get the nerve to ride a horse? :D

Anonymous said...

Ample, polite way of saying rather large woman. :D

Montanagirl said...

Sorry to hear about this - she's such a beauty! But I'm with you: No more getting thrown off.

Kalin said...

Oh no! So sorry to hear that but I'm happy you are okay!!

aurora said...

Glad you were not hurt worse. Take time to heal!

Bonnie K said...

I am very sorry. Things were going so well.

Ed said...

Bummer, she is a beauty but you don't need to get hurt, hope you are o.k. and I hope Snoopy works out better for ya. :-)

Ed said...

Oh Yeah, excellent shots of her too.. :-)

Unknown said...

Eek! I'm so sorry this happened and that you got hurt. Rest up amd get well soon.

Nikker said...

Yikes! Never thought I'd be reading that. Glad you were in a helmet, sounds like a pretty serious explosion. Life's too short for horses that buck like that.
Get well soon!!