Hi everyone! My name
is Shannon, and I just turned 20 at the beginning of July.
I've known the Perrott family for about 5 years through being in the same 4-H club as Rorie, the girl who bought Rio from Shirley. Over a year ago I decided to start boarding my horse Bailey at their place, which is when I really started getting close with the family. After we discovered how amazing Rio was, when Shirley messaged us asking if we might be interested in looking at Kai, we were all very excited.
Upon meeting Kai for the first time, we were lucky enough to find out that Shirley was also looking for a home for Nitro. However that being said, I was told by Kevin (Rorie's dad) that if we took home both Kai and Nitro, I was expected to help out with either horse.
I've known the Perrott family for about 5 years through being in the same 4-H club as Rorie, the girl who bought Rio from Shirley. Over a year ago I decided to start boarding my horse Bailey at their place, which is when I really started getting close with the family. After we discovered how amazing Rio was, when Shirley messaged us asking if we might be interested in looking at Kai, we were all very excited.
Upon meeting Kai for the first time, we were lucky enough to find out that Shirley was also looking for a home for Nitro. However that being said, I was told by Kevin (Rorie's dad) that if we took home both Kai and Nitro, I was expected to help out with either horse.
Needless to say, once
we got Kai and Nitro home I fell in love with Kai. Just like his daddy and
brothers, he is calm, willing, and a total joy to be around.
The first time I rode Kai in the arena he wasn't sure what a straight line was, and was a little rusty on steering! Which is understandable, as he had only around 20 rides on him at the time. He would also get rather nervous with faster horses moving around him.
The first time I rode Kai in the arena he wasn't sure what a straight line was, and was a little rusty on steering! Which is understandable, as he had only around 20 rides on him at the time. He would also get rather nervous with faster horses moving around him.
I got him going pretty
good with more riding at the arena and outside. I even taught him how to give
hugs and bow! I was really excited and had lots of plans for him during the
summer!
May 5th, was a pretty scary evening. I got a
call from Alana (Rorie's mom) saying that Kai had hurt his leg. All she could
say was "it's bad". I met them all at the vet clinic to see Kai might
as well of ripped his foot off. The culprit: barbed wire fence.
You could stick
almost your full finger into his wound. The vet was worried about joint damage,
but thank the good Lord there was none. Since the injury was in such a high
motion area, stitches wouldn't hold. Kai ended up getting a cast on foot that
went up past the fetlock.
Luckily, we had just built a brand new barn, so
that became Kai's new home for almost a month while he healed. What amazed me
was how he never looked lame, even with his cast. He never limped, or hopped.
After a week, Kai had worn through his first
cast and needed a new one. When the cast came off we were amazed at how well it
had already started healing. Lots of new, pink skin! He was re-casted and given
a boot to help prevent wear and tear!
Kai's injury prevented me from any riding,
however it gave me a chance to work on ground manners with him. We practiced
showmanship: standing square, pivoting, and staying beside me. Once his foot
healed more I taught him to trot beside me, which was a lot more difficult than
I thought it would be! We also practised yielding his hindquarters and forequarters.
His cast came off at
the end of May, and we again were amazed at the healing that had taken place.
He still never took a lame step. I tried my luck at just lunging him and he was
amazing, no limping whatsoever.
..
| ![]() |
As he continued to heal, I put some light rides
on him. At first we just walked, and when I felt confident in his healing we
upped it to include a trot.
Today, he is about 90%
healed. He has some scar tissue that may or may not grow hair, however he moves
like nothing ever happened.
Since we have had Kai,
I've been the only one riding and training him, which has made me love him like
he was mine.
This fall I will be doing 4-H, taking Kai and my mare as my projects. My plans and goals for us are to continue his training, and get at least one show under his belt!
This fall I will be doing 4-H, taking Kai and my mare as my projects. My plans and goals for us are to continue his training, and get at least one show under his belt!
I'm so blessed to have the Perrott family in my life, and so thankful to Shirley for allowing me the opportunity to love and teach this horse, and to be loved and taught by him in return.









9 comments:
Amazing story and a happy ending!
I'm so glad this had a good outcome! Horses have an amazing ability to heal, even in tough circumstances, with love and attention. He looks great!! Happy trails to you both! He is a beautiful, beautiful horse.
Im so glad for him, and you, and everyone. I was always partial to Kai. He is a great horse. :)
Sounds like he has a perfect home! And what a good healing job, amazing.
I would not have thought of a cast. Glad all ended well!
Shannon, thanks for taking the time to share your Kai update & story!! It's so wonderful to have friends that know the impact that sharing common passion's can foster. You are doing amazing things with Kai, he looks great in the video. I'm so glad you found each other! Will look forward to another update again sometime :)
Shirley, it must be so rewarding to get these updates & see your boys so well cared for, loved and thriving in their new awesome home!!
Excellent, nice job Shannon. Shirley you would never know that is the sad creature who came home to you. Isn't it nice when they land in the right place. Kai speaks volumes for the breeding program you had in place.
Thanks for the update on Kai and I am glad he is recovering. Boo for barbed wire:(
Post a Comment