Friday, October 9, 2015

From the pen to the trail



Day 15 with Josie 
Every lesson, we introduce something new. For this lesson I hauled up to Shayla's so we could use the bigger round pen. Started off by saddling her at the hitching rail, then into the round pen where she was turned loose and worked. She did quite well, no bucking or silliness. Boy that filly can move! She has a stop and turn that bode well for her future in working cowhorse, which is the direction I think would suit her the most. But- she also has speed, so maybe a side career in barrels - hmmm!
Anyway, she was pretty happy to get out and stretch her legs and worked up quite a sweat- she doesn't get much opportunity to gallop at home as I have no pasture turnout for them, although her pen is 100 x 50 so she isn't too confined. 
Hooked on
I did take a video but we are working her again the same way today so I'll put it in the next post.

After that it was time for a trail ride- I had Clancy, and Shayla rode Rose and we took turns ponying Josie.
Josie did really well, and Clancy is really good to pony from, as is Shayla's horse. We took a trail that led up to a viewpoint that overlooks the valley with the Kootenay River winding through it.
So pretty at this time of year. It was a cloudy day so the fall colours don't really pop.

Taking in the view
There is smoke in the valley from yet another forest fire in Idaho.
Looking north- the Kootenay River flows north out of Idaho and empties into Kootenay Lake.
I was really happy with my horses on this little tour, and I'm really looking forward to doing it again today. This is the best thing for young horses, getting them out in a safe manner so they can learn to handle terrain, their bodies and their minds.
Heading back- Shilo the dog really blends in with the fallen leaves. 
I like the format of some round pen work and trail riding, I think it will keep Josie's mind engaged and keen to learn, as well as building her fitness. 

2 comments:

lisa said...

Sounds like things are progressing nicely! Boy, what a fantastic view to ride with!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Beautiful scenery even if it is smoky, hope the fires go out soon.:)