Sunday, December 4, 2016

New Trails

Yesterday the neighbour rancher dropped off a key to the gate where he has the grazing lease along the river, so today we saddled up and headed up there. Although we didn't go the whole way it was a pretty nice short ride. Next time I will go farther but today I cut it short as we had an event to go to in the evening.
Coulee and Rosalee are pretty good buddies on the trail. Coulee is braver and has more experience on the trails- Rosalee is just learning about trails this year.
They spotted a deer and just stood stock still and watched it, no spooking. Both mares are pretty sensible about picking their footing and although they are a little looky at new /strange things they don't get silly.
Just past the gate- lots of rosehips on that bush, I'll have to check it out next summer!
Tess came with us this time. Thea stayed home.
Coulee sure is looking pregnant! I have pretty much taken her off the market until after her foal is born. Then I'll decide if I should keep her. She is so steady on the trails that she might just be a keeper.
Rosalee walked out really slow on the way out but sped up on the way back- and she didn't want to stand still while I took Shayla and Coulee's photo. I had to work her a bit to get her to stand still long enough for a photo.
She was also happy to lead on the way back, but not on the way out. Once I ride her a bunch more on trails I think she will get a little braver.

5 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

What a pretty place to ride!! :)

Linda said...

I'm impressed that he dropped off a key for you! That's the kind of hospitality that is missing down our way because people are so afraid of being sued. What a lovely trail ride you had with your girls.

Linda said...

What a great pace to ride.

T.L. Merrybard said...

Lovely to see you guys in the saddle in sch beautiful surroundings. So pleased Coulee is working out for you!

aurora said...

Nice December weather to head out on such gorgeous trails!! Thanks for taking us along!