Last couple of days were kind of a write off with heavy rains, but it did clear off today- got some much needed work done on my flowerbeds and then headed down to the horse pens. I had them all cooped up because the ground water has really come up in their pens, and I didn't want to turn Belle and Rosalee out in all that water, plus they have it chewed down pretty good so it needs a break. I taped off a small grass area and put them out there, and turned Coulee and Mesa in to the regular mare pen. They were pretty happy to get out, and Mesa had to show off a bit.
She will be 3 weeks old tomorrow, so I"ll clean her up and take some portraits of her; I like to do that at 3 weeks and 3 months. So far she is looking like an elegant little lady, but the video shows she can boogie!
I decided it's time to start bringing Rosalee in with them, because Belle is about 6 weeks from foaling, and in her last 4 weeks she will be kept in the foaling pen at night, so I have 2 weeks to get everything changed over so Coulee and Mesa can live with Rosalee in the mare pen. Today was a good day to start.
It pretty much went as I expected. Mesa has been visiting with Rosalee over the fence quite a bit, and Coulee is now more comfortable with Mesa being farther away from her, so it worked out good. I'll give them more time together tomorrow.
Mesa is almost over her poopy bum, she still gets a shot of pepto in the morning.
4 comments:
Sure helps that Rosalee is so laid back she is perfect in there. I always wonder if Mom almost appreciates it its like a break for her
Looks like the three are getting along fine. Similar to what Crystal said ^^ perhaps Rosalee is another set of trusted eyes (aka babysitter).
An old breeder I used to know used to say look at them at three weeks, three months and three years, and try not to worry in between. :D
TL- that is exactly what I say too. The worst is the yearling year- thay go through the most awkward ugly stage then!
Post a Comment