Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Who's your mama?

I have been turning Rosalee in with Coulee and her filly every day, and today I kept them separate when I put them out to graze. I was quite surprised at how upset Mesa got when Rosalee had to stay on the other side of the fence; it seems that she is really bonding with that yellow mare. And surprised that Coulee totally ignored Mesa while she was running around nickering at Rosalee.



I am starting to work more with Mesa as of this weekend; it's time that she lets me handle her feet and lead her without mama. Gotta get this done before she gets any bigger! 


I love how balanced she is, the angle of her hip matches the angle of her shoulder and she carries herself so level.


Nice deep heart girth and she is muscling up nicely, while still looking feminine.



8 comments:

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

Gosh dang I like this little girl!!

You know, I turned Beretta and Ruger out with the mare herd when he was a baby and he and Belle bonded. She pretty much took over the protective momma roll, without ever overstepping her bounds in respect to Beretta. I have had other mares pair up like that to raise a foal as well. Sneaky has done his level best to bond with the Tiny Watch mare...he is always harassing her...however she refuses to have anything to do with him. LOL.

T.L. Merrybard said...

She is gorgeous!

Linda said...

My heart horse, Cowboy, had a weird life as a foal. Apparently, another mare stole him from his mom on the first day. (His mom died when he was a month, too.) But the stealing of a foal always surprised me. Who would think? I know you don't have that here, but it is interesting Mesa is so attached to another mare. Do you think she'd try to poach her?

Shirley said...

Linda- mare's stealing foals is actually quite common. When Mesa was born, Belle fell in love with her and baby talked to her over the fence every day. I think if I would have had them out in a field all together Belle may have tried to steal her- however, Coulee is quite aggressive towards Belle, so maybe not. I still keep them separate.
Rosalee just wants to play with Mesa, it may be the first foal she has been around, since I don't know all her history, and I think she is quite intrigued with the little rascal.

aurora said...

She is a pretty girl with a nice soft eye!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Wow Mesa can really move! I enjoyed the videos! She is a beauty for sure! :)

sahara4d said...

She looks like my filly, she is now an 8 year old mare. :)
I don't know how to insert a picture in the comments...I'll have to send you a picture.

Crystal said...

She is pretty adorable. When we had mares here Belle was the motherly one to them all and the other mares were quite content to have her babysit, worked well at weaning time too for those other 2