Friday, May 18, 2018

Tumbleweed day 3

Well it has been a busy few days! What with the water rising and pouring rain I didn't get a lot of horse stuff done other than looking after baby and mama.
Rosalee had a few issues with nursing as she was pretty sore. When Tumbleweed bunts during nursing it was painful for her for the first 2 days so a few times I haltered her and made her stand still so he could have a nice long drink. Here is a video of her being all stressed out and not letting baby nurse- I put them back in the stall after that and made her stand for him.


She is also a very protective mama, nobody is allowed to look at her baby! At least, for the first 2 days, then today she was considerably more chilled out.


This was today, a much milder version of "don't mess with my baby" than even this morning when she charged the fence at Mesa.
By this afternoon she seemed to have it all figured out.


The rain has stopped and they got to spend a lot of time outside today. Tumbleweed had lots of naps, interspersed with sprints ....


 and visits to the milk bar.


He also had his first halter lesson today as I want to be able to lead him and mama out for some hand grazing.


I also pulled hair for his colour test and herda test. Ever tried to pull hair on a baby? It is so short and slick it's almost impossible! He absolutely would not let me pull tail hairs,  but didn't mind as much with the mane hairs. I had the halter on him and his butt in a corner; poor li'l guy! As soon as I get the results I will send in his registration.

6 comments:

Linda said...

I would not have known how to handle her refusing to nurse, and that is why I decided not to breed Cowgirl. 😭 I’m scared. But I admire your expertise. You make it look easy and I know it’s not. Are you keeping Tumbleweed? He might be a little Beamer.

WendyFromNY said...

Such cuteness!! I love his coloring, can't wait to see him all growed up!

Shirley said...

Linda- he is for sale. I am very tempted to keep him as a replacement for Beamer, but that would require showing him and I am not able to make the financial investment required to get him through years of training and showing to make him a marketable stallion. And I prefer to ride mares not geldings, so- he's for sale. Would love to see someone invest in him though as both his parents earned money in reining and he would be a good one!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Poor Rosalie nothing worse than a sore udder...we used to have a zert that was medicated to put up an inflamed sore teat on cows. Probably different with horses. Looks like he will need a few halter lessons. Soon he will be running with Mesa:)

Linda said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
lisa said...

He is very beautiful and who ever does get him will have a beauty!